ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Discussion with a Husker Fan

mrcyfan

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I was judging the dairy cattle show at the Franklin County Fair today (Hampton) and wore an Iowa State shirt and the ringman helping line up cattle for me was a fella that grew up in the area, but had attended Nebraska in Animal Science and was now a beef farmer. I asked him his impression of Nebraska being in the Big 10. He thought it was a mess, and that college athletics in general had all bowed to the almighty dollar. He also thought the portal was out of control and NIL was bad as well.

I told him I liked the old Big 8 and early Big 12 better. He agreed. He was in his early 50’s, I think, and we compared notes on our favorite football matchups over the years. I told him mine was the 23-23 tie my freshman year in 1972. Surprisingly, his was the Marv Seiler game where the Cornhuskers came in number 1 and should never have lost.

He gave Matt Campbell high praise.

Our discussion went to basketball and we both agreed Iowa State was on a much higher trajectory. He wasn’t sure Fred was going to get it done.

After I finished my judging chores he wished me well and left me with a “Go Huskers”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News