ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING 'Incredible Visit' for Cal Commit Onyemaobi

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

One of the top prospects on Iowa State’s board in the state of California, who just so happens to be committed to another Power-5 program, was on campus over the weekend for his first official visit of the recruiting process.

Temecula Chapparal three-star athlete Michael Onyemaobi was the lone scholarship player in for an official visit this weekend, so he got plenty of attention from coaches and players.

“It was an incredible visit,” said Onyemaobi. “I came into this weekend with an open mind and not really have any expectations. It was a beautiful place, a great atmosphere and the fan base was amazing. It was just a great experience overall.”

The 6-foot-1, 187-pound Onyemaobi is rated a three-star by Rivals.com, as well as the 38th athlete overall and 49th player in the state of California. He is being targeted for the defensive backfield by I-State.

Having grown up in Southern California and his offer list being comprised of many schools on the west coast, Onyemaobi said he was excited to see a Power-5 stadium from another region.

“One of the big things in the Big 12, everybody was the game and it felt like I was at an NFL game,” he said. “The stadium was huge, too. You go to the (Los Angeles) Coliseum to watch USC play and they don’t pack their stadium like this. People were outside tailgating a long time before the game. It was great to see what the atmosphere was like at a Big 12 school.”

ISU freshman Romello Webster hosted Onyemaobi on the senior’s official visit.

“He tried to keep it as real as possible with me,” Onyemaobi said. “He shared a lot of things with me. I came on a game day weekend, so he really wanted me to be a part of it and see it from a player’s perspective and things that they go through. We checked out their dorms and chilled out. He gave me a great perspective of it.”

Onyemaobi’s visit wrapped up Sunday with a conversation with I-State head coach Matt Campbell, in which each person leveled with one another on where they’re at in the process.

“I am still committed to Cal but am taking some other official visits,” Onyemaobi said. “However, I do love Iowa State and the family atmosphere. I really enjoyed the official visit. They’re going to be in the recruiting picture. It was reassuring coming out here and really seeing this. I soaked it all in, can come back with my family and will make a decision after my season is over.

“My talk with Coach Campbell was the best part of my official visit. There was truly no sales pitch. Everything he had to say was simply about me growing as a young man and building my brand. That was great.”

In addition to Cal and I-State, Onyemaobi also has Power-5 offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon State, Purdue, UCLA and Washington State. He says Washington State, Cal, Arizona State and UNLV are possible future official visit destinations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News