ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING In-State Soph Stays in Touch with ISU

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Although it’s still very early in the recruiting process, a Dowling Catholic sophomore is starting to look into an Iowa State program that’s showing some preliminary interest.

Class of 2018 tight end/defensive end prospect John Waggoner attended an event in Ames during the Saturday of the Oklahoma basketball game this winter, and looks forward to performing at the Friday Night Lights camp over the summer.

“(Dowling) Coach (Tom) Wilson gave me an invitation to an event up there during the basketball season, so I went up for a visit and got to tour the facility,” said Waggoner. “There were about 12 football recruits up there that day. Their facilities were really nice; the weight room is especially huge and that’s pretty appealing to me.”

Since his initial trip to Ames, the 6-foot-5, 200-pound Waggoner has been keeping in touch with I-State Director of High School Relations Mitch Moore.

“I’ve been keeping in contact with him the most,” Waggoner said. “The coaching staff up there really likes me and had a lot of good things to say. They told me I could be a versatile player up there and don’t really have a set position right now I’d be playing.”

Waggoner says he likes what he’s seen thus far from new head coach Matt Campbell and his staff, and that it would be nice to have a local option to attend out of high school.

“I think they’re doing a great job and seem to be recruiting very well,” Waggoner said. “They’re pretty upbeat guys and bring a lot of energy into the program. They’re really big on turning the program. It would be nice for me to play close to home, so all of that’s encouraging to me.”

In addition to the Cyclones, Waggoner said he’s received mail from Florida State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News