ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING In-State DT Excited About Iowa State Offer

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Head coach Matt Campbell has said since he took the job at Iowa State that he and his staff would back down from nothing on the recruiting trail, and that includes not being afraid of recruiting a high school program just miles away from Kinnick Stadium that has traditionally trended toward the Hawkeyes.

Solon defensive tackle Tyler Linderbaum picked up an offer from the Cyclones recently and said that Campbell and his staff have made quite an early impression.

“I talked to Coach Campbell and a few of the other coaches a couple weeks earlier,” said Linderbaum, who also has an offer from Minnesota State to go with recruiting interest from Iowa and South Dakota.

“Then, my coach told me to come down to the gym and said Coach Campbell needed to talk to me. I called him and we got to talking. He said he likes me as a football player, liked my film and said he wanted to offer a scholarship. It was awesome and a great feeling. I was quite excited.”

The 6-foot-2, 255-pound Linderbaum, who participated in one of ISU’s Saturday Night Lights camps last June, said that the staff in Ames has liked what it’s seen as far as his progress since then.

“They just said they liked how I played and that was pretty much it,” Linderbaum said. “He said they’d like me to come out for a visit. After my wrestling season is over with, there are some basketball games at Iowa State I could possibly go to for a Junior Day.”

Linderbaum has also been in touch with defensive line coach Eli Rasheed.

“We talked on the phone a little bit and that was the first time I had talked to him, so I got to know him a little bit,” Linderbaum said. “The Iowa State coaches have made a great impression and I really like them. They’re easy to talk to and I’m looking forward to getting to know them a little bit more.”

As a junior on a Solon team that finished 9-2, Linderbaum tallied 42.5 tackles, seven tackles-for-loss and three sacks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News