ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING In-State DL Liddle Reflects on ISU Trip

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

An in-state interior defensive lineman in the 2021 class visited Ames last month and came away from the experience even more impressed with the coaching staff.

Bettendorf sophomore Griffin Liddle traveled to ISU on March 9th for a Prospect Day that ran in conjunction with the final regular season basketball contest.

“I was very impressed,” said Liddle. “They treated me very well and it was a really good time. It was against Texas Tech and it was an awesome game. The coaches said they wanted to keep seeing me and keep in touch with me. I’ve been doing that. They want to see me during camp this summer, which I said definitely yes. They want to keep seeing me improve as a player. Coach Rasheed wants to coach me at a camp because it was so much fun last summer. He wants to keep the connection going.”

In addition to ISU’s offer, Liddle has Power-5 ones from Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska and Northwestern.

The 6-foot-4, 255-pound Liddle won’t sign with a program for at least another year and a half, but said he got a good feel for how much the staff wants him in the 2021 class.

“I think they want me like any other kid, but I think they’re recruiting me pretty hard,” he said. “They want a nose guard, because they run a three-man front. They compared me to (Ray) Lima and those guys. I’ve heard them say stuff about us being comparable. They want a guy that can fill up gaps. I think they’ve seen on my film I can fill up gaps. I’m not the greatest pass rusher, but I can definitely fill up gaps for linebackers.”

If he ends up in Ames in a few years, Liddle said he would be getting the feel for a different defensive alignment. That was on display that day at I-State.

“I went to a defensive line position meeting and talked to Coach Rasheed,” he said. “I saw how their defense runs. I’m not used to that defense, since we run a four-man front at Bettendorf. It was nice to take it all in.”

In addition to his recent visit, Liddle said ISU coaches have been in Bettendorf recruiting him since extending an offer. Staffers attended his final regular season game and visited during wrestling season to watch him lift. Liddle would go on to place second at state in the heavyweight division.

Liddle said he will likely take more visits to college campuses in the coming months.

“I probably won’t do too many showcases, since I’m not worried about stars,” he said. “I want to make relationships with coaches and have coaches see me first-hand. Showcases are good things, but I think it’s better to go to a camp.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News