ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING In-Person with ISU Commit Alex Williams

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Since shutting down the recruiting process very early with a commitment to Iowa State in April, Class of 2018 offensive lineman Alex Williams hasn't had any regrets about his decision.

The Pickerington North standout said he's still felt the love from the Cyclones after picking them during an April visit.

"After I committed, it only got better with the Iowa State staff," said Williams during a recent on-site interview with CycloneReport.com. "Whenever I need to communicate and there's a question with my family, it's automatic and I get what I need. They make you feel comfortable and feel good about what's going on."

The 6-foot-7, 240-pound Williams earned the distinction of being I-State's first verbal for the Class of 2018, something he's proud of.

"I was really excited when it first occurred and when I first got the chance to even make a commitment to play football at Iowa State," he said. "It was very exciting, a dream come true. It just gets better and better every day. I'm coming close to my junior season and hoping to have a great year to show out for what what they gave me to me."

The rising junior still laughs when recalling the day he made his decision while visiting Ames the weekend of the spring game.

"On my trip there to the spring game, after having a tour with (Director of Player Personnel) Doug (Phillips) I told him I was going to commit to Iowa State," Williams said. "I caught them by surprise. The day after, we were in the middle of the spring game, Doug did a cartwheel in front of everybody. It was a fun time."

A family connection also helped Williams bond quickly with ISU's Phillips. The staff member is the brother of Williams' high school coach, Tom Phillips.

The addition of a three-star recruit that was at the time a sophomore in high school caught Cyclone fans by surprise. But for Williams, he said he had found the right fit and there was no need to carry on.

"I wasn't too big on the recruiting process," he said. "It's not something I focus on. I just want to play football. The connection I have with the people over at Iowa State - Matt Campbell and Doug Phillips - makes it real easy to relate to everything. And then the family aspect to Iowa State was a huge determination of my commitment there."

Williams has returned to the ISU campus once since making his commitment, for the Cyclones' Big Man Camp earlier this summer. He's gotten praise for what he'll eventually bring to the table in the Big 12.

"The coaches said they really like my footwork, technique and just what I was born with," Williams said. "I'm blessed to have a little more arm length than normal people have. I can pick my feet up and put them down; I have large feet. They see my athleticism.

"The original plan was for me to go in as a left tackle or right tackle, and fill in wherever Coach (Tom) Manning needs. My last two years of high school I'll be playing defensive end and left tackle. I think it all depends on the weight I gain and how I fill out."

In addition to Phillips, defensive coordinator/safeties coach Jon Heacock has acted as Williams' primary recruiter.

Williams said he's planning another unofficial visit to ISU following his junior season in late-November or early-December.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News