ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING I-State Hosts Prep School D-End

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Paul Clark

The possibility of playing on the same team as his older brother for the first time - and an appealing academic match – brought a Cal commit to Iowa State for an official visit this past weekend.

2016 defensive end Chinedu Udeogu (CHIN-uh-doo oo-DAH-goo) is back at Georgetown Prep in North Bethesda, Maryland, today with a weekend in Ames fresh in his mind. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound prospect is the younger brother of offensive lineman Oge Udeogu, a JUCO product that signed with ISU in December.

C. Udeogu remains committed to California and plans to officially visit there this coming weekend, followed by a scheduled official visit to Wake Forest on the weekend of January 29-31. That will leave him just enough time to make a final decision before National Signing Day in early February.

“At the end of the visits I will make my decision,” said Udeogu, who was born in Chicago, then lived in Nigeria for about 10 years before returning to the United States. “I’m going to compare all of the good and all of the bad between the schools and go from there.”

Part of the good for Iowa State is the Udeogu plans to major in an engineering discipline, playing to an academic strength for the university. He said getting a good look at the engineering departments in Ames was one of the highlights of his visit.

“They took us around to every engineering building on campus and I talked to a professor while I was there,” Udeogu said. “I got a good idea of what the programs are all about and what it will be like there. I like their engineering program and obviously I really liked the football facilities and the coaching staff a lot.” Udeogu said his host for the visit was I-State defensive lineman Pierre Aka.

Chinedu and Oge Udeogu have not played football together before. After the family returned to the USA, Chinedu enrolled at his boarding school in Maryland while Oge attended a high school in suburban Chicago. O. Udeogu has not enrolled at Iowa State just yet as he has an academic credit he needs to finish before enrolling, so the brothers did not see each other during Chinedu’s official visit.

C. Udeogu said he expects Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell and assistant coach Eli Rasheed to visit him in Maryland on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week as a follow-up to his trip to Ames.

Reactions: CyCo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News