ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Houston TE is a 2020 I-State Target

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Looking to add a tight end in the 2020 class, Iowa State extended an offer to a Lone Star State standout last month and now hopes to land the prospect for an unofficial visit.

Houston Cypress Ranch junior Drake Dabney said the Cyclones had been in touch at the beginning of the year and would eventually offer in February.

“I had been in contact with Coach Nate Scheelhaase months before the offer and he said he’d be recruiting me,” said Dabney. “Right around the time they offered, he called me and they gave me the offer. I’ve also been in contact with the tight ends coach (Alex Golesh).

“(Golesh) said he liked my size and versatility, that I can be a threat in the passing game and in the run game by blocking well. I just talked to him about a week ago and he really wants me to come up there on a visit.”

In addition to the one he received from the Cyclones, the 6-foot-6, 230-pound also has Power-5 offers from Arizona, Boston College, Kansas State, Louisville, Purdue, TCU and Vanderbilt.

Dabney said he’s doing more research on I-State and watched the team wrap up the 2018 season at the Alamo Bowl.

“I’m still kind of learning more about Iowa State as a school, but I definitely know it’s a big-time program in the Big 12 that competes at a high level,” he said. “I did watch their bowl game and thought it was a good game. I like the way they use the tight ends. Coach Golesh is really confident about the tight ends this year and thinks they will be an important part of the offense.”

Known just as much for his work in Cy Ranch’s ground attack, Dabney said he hopes to become more involved in the offense as a senior in 2019.

“I feel like I have been an important piece in our team’s run game and got to block a lot,” he said. “I was able to get in the receiving game a little bit. Going into next season, I hope to be a part of the passing game a lot more.”

Dabney said he has a pair of visits scheduled to Arizona and Arizona State next month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News