ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Georgia CB Looking to Visit Iowa State

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State is one of four Power-5 programs to have extended offers to a three-star defensive back from the state of Georgia.

Class of 2019 standout Tavian Mayo, of Leesburg Lee County, said the Cyclones have been recruiting him for a while prior to extending an offer on February 15th.

“They started sending me mail during my sophomore year, after my first region game,” said Mayo, the 85th-ranked Georgia junior. “I was kind of surprised to see it at first. Eventually, me and the Iowa State coach started talking over the phone trying to build a relationship. Later on, I got the news that they had offered me in a text from my head coach. It still surprises me.”

The 5-foot-11, 178-pound Mayo, who also has P5 offers from Michigan, Minnesota and West Virginia, said he’s been recruited by position coach D.K. McDonald and that the two have forged a good relationship.

“We talk a lot,” Mayo said. “He’s told me he likes my tape and how I play with a lot of physicality. I attack the ball out there. He said he’d love it if I came up there and was a playmaker for them in their defense. They want to win titles up there and for me to be a part of that. He’s also said the facilities are very nice and some of the best in the country.”

Since he’s located several states away from ISU, Mayo said he’s done much of his research online and from watching materials that McDonald forwards him.

“He sent me a video this past week that was a hype video from this past season,” Mayo said. “I liked how the players were jumping up and down and the crowd was hyped. The defense was making a lot of plays. It got me very hyped and made me visualize myself being there, me making those plays and getting turnovers for my team.”

Mayo said he’s prided himself on making an impact as a cover corner, despite playing against opponents larger than him.

“I’m not the tallest guy back there and am only 5-11, but I’m jumping with 6-4 and 6-5 guys picking the ball off,” he said. “I’ve got top-end speed. I think that’s hard to beat. I also have very long arms, so I’m good at getting my hand on the ball and being physical with receivers and getting my hands on them. I’ve also got great feet.”

According to the defensive back, he’s received an invite to attend the Cyclones’ intra-squad spring finale next month but is unsure if he’ll be able to make it.

“We’re talking about that right now,” Mayo said. “I’m trying to get my mom to let me come up."

Reactions: Chester90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News