ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts (long)

SPECTRE

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
First off, I've always been of the opinion that we need to stop playing UNI. I know that people will say that ISU should be able to beat them and not run from playing them, but it seems like they always play with a huge chip and ISU has nothing to prove scheduling-wise...their schedule is hard enough. If you are playing 9 conference games round robin plus iowa, find the worst FBS school you can and bring them in. The thought that this game sells extra tickets is absolutely false these days. There were less UNI fans in the stadium than any time I can remember. What this game does is provide a chance for them to ruin our season and any momentum. They lose that game and how many new season ticket holders say screw it, same old ISU and don't renew? It also gives them a chance to legitimize themselves and hurt our walk-on program. I would rather UNI face their own issues and not help them. I'm sure many won't agree with this, but I've had the same opinion for decades now.

Second, I did think that we got screwed by the refs some, especially that fumble call. Seems like every single questionable call went against us. Every time we had a nice drive going, there was a penalty or dumb play that killed the drive. We definitely did not help ourselves with the game plan/play calling. I just don't know how you spend all offseason putting a game plan together and that's what they come up with. Are they really saving things for iowa? Because it almost backfired.

QB: I thought Purdy did fine. Had some bad throws, but a lot of good ones too. They just seemed intent on being conservative and keeping him in the pocket. I see the reasoning there, but I kind of thought that they would pick their spots and not go total turtle mode. OU did not hold Hurts back in the least and that helped them blow their game open. Purdy is our biggest offensive weapon and we kept the reigns on him. On those 3rd and 4th and 1's, if those were RPO's, then that's on Manning. Take the call out of Purdy's hands if he's making the wrong read in that situation. If it were me, I would have tried to go deep on 3rd and then on 4th, line up under center and pick up the first down.

WR: They did fine, but we were really hesitant to involve anyone in the game outside of swing passes to Jones. Milton is really good across the middle, but we didn't want to throw there. Pettway had some nice catches and I really like Akers in the slot. I thought that Scates and Wilson could help us downfield, but Manning had no desire to try that out.

RB: They tried almost everyone there with decent results. I thought things opened up when Nwangwu started running outside. Hall is good at running through contact, but he doesn't seem quick enough to hit holes fast. Lang probably goes down too easily. It did show a lot that Croney was in late in the game, but his fumble was almost a killer.

TE: I thought they did OK when targeted, but their blocking needs work. I was a little disappointed in this group given all the hype they've gotten.

OL: Mixed bag for sure. We all hoped that this group would make a huge improvement and I don't think that is possible. JGJ and Meeker aren't going to all of a sudden get better just because they are Seniors. It should NOT take 4 years to develop a decent OL. And what does next year look like if none of the backups are good enough to play? This staff has done a great job at evaluation and development at every other position. I thought with an OL guy at HC and an OL guy at OC plus Meyers, they would be further ahead than they are now. JGJ is not a good LT. Meeker should probably be playing inside...he's serviceable, but has lapses. The interior guys played pretty well. I just don't understand how the staff hasn't went after JUCOs and transfers at Tackle, because it's obvious to everyone watching that we struggle there. Disappointing. The gameplan did not help them out by allowing UNI to keep everyone up close. Hopefully they open things up against iowa, but after last year, I'm not betting on it.

DL: Did a nice job. Tough against the run, but probably should have tried to keep the UNI QB in the pocket more instead of going after him and letting him scramble. I do think that we won't see another QB that can extend plays like that other than Brewer. OU, UT and OSU have guys that can hurt you in the run game, but not really scramble around to throw.

LB: I'm not a huge fan of Rose at SAM. I just think that he's not quick enough to be out there. Unfortunately, they don't seem to trust McDonald and Pulvermacher much there yet. Vance looked really good and Spears played well too. I think that they need to get those young guys more snaps to allow Rose to move back inside and rotate with Vance.

DB: CBs did OK, Eisworth was good as usual and White was good too. Bickham missed a bunch of tackles and I wondered why Lewis wasn't out there. Sounds like he was hurt. Lewis doesn't have the measurables, but he's solid. They keep trying to recruit over him, but he's going to start and do well when he's back. Kind of a calming influence back there.

ST: No idea how UNI gets a kicker than is banging in 50 yarders while we are missing 35's. Obviously, Narveson is a miss and probably the reason why Houston was nudged out. That's a scholarship kicker on the bench while a walk on is missing basically chip shots. Rivera did OK. KR was fine but could be better. For the life of me, I don't understand our PR strategy. No effort to hold guys up and try for a return, yet they're not really rushing either. Looks like we are scared to death of the fake and doing everything possible to guard against that. I don't get it.

Overall, a questionable offensive gameplan, some bad calls against us and some sloppy play. They have a LOT to clean up in 2 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News