ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Former Iowan Collects I-State Offer

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
Not only was Iowa State the first Power-5 offer for a defensive end prospect from the Lone Star State, it was an opportunity from a school that’s just three hours from his first childhood home.

Cedar Hill junior Deven Lamp, who lived in Davenport (Iowa) until he was 10 years old, collected an offer from the Cyclones during spring evaluations. It was the culmination of four-plus months of recruitment.

“They were at my school in January or February, and I talked to the coach after that,” said Lamp. “He gave me his card and told me to follow him on Twitter. Throughout the next few months, they were in touch asking general questions, sending me emails and flyers through the mail. They said the defensive line coach was coming to visit me in the spring.

“Coach (Eli) Rasheed came and I met him for the first time and we talked about how things were going. He notified me that they were going to have a meeting with the head coach and they were going to offer me a scholarship. I got a phone call and it was the entire staff, they were congratulating me about the offer.”

I-State coaches like the upside of Lamp, given his 6-foot-5, 220-pound frame.

“The coaches were saying they believe I have a tremendous amount of potential and that I haven’t even scratched the surface,” Lamp said. “They like my aggressiveness, length and how I move around.

“They said I’m going to play defensive end in their system and that I can add 30 to 40 pounds to get around 270. They believe a big factor of their recruitment this past couple years is the trenches and they really like what I can bring to the defense coming off the edge. I’d be a really good fit for the system.”

In addition to I-State, Lamp said he has offers from Nevada, Cornell, Army, Air Force and Holy Cross.

Lamp said he’s done his homework on the Cyclone program and likes what he’s seen.

“I’m really impressed from talking to the coaches and from what I saw on websites, especially considering that it’s a college in my home state where I’m from,” he said. “I like the area and environment. Talking to Coach (Matt) Campbell on the phone, he made me really feel wanted by the staff. That tells me they’re excited about recruiting me.”

The Class of 2017 prospect is now working on an unofficial visit to Ames this month.

“They’re going to contact me next week,” Lamp said. “My family and I were planning on going up there to Iowa to visit family and they want to get me up there on campus by the end of June or early July for an unofficial visit. They’re also going to be in this area on June 14th (for a satellite camp) and I’d be able to meet them there.”

Reactions: ArmyDgls3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News