ADVERTISEMENT

Football: Blaney's post-spring interview

tazclone

Legend
Nov 18, 2005
http://amestrib.com/blind-side-blitz/post-spring-qa-offensive-line-coach-brandon-blaney

Wish I had more warm fuzzies over that interview. Reading that I would predict the starting five will be:
RT- Dagel
RG- Burton
C-Lalk
LG-Scoggins
LT- Campos

The info on Dagel and Campos is probably what bothers me the most. I had heard Dagel looked better laterally and Campos was playing bigger. There is nothing in Blaney's comments that makes me feel better about the OT position which sucks because I heard good things about them. Dagel struggles laterally and Campos struggles with the bull rush and strength on the edges. Inconsistent hip level and non violent hands are not good for either of those. Especially with their height and length. the hips need to be at the right level for power and movement and violent hands so important. Hope Philbert can come in and pressure for PT or create competition.

I actually feel better about the interior. Burton is solid and I think is the only penciled in starter. I think Scoggins could win the C job if he gets the offense. Worse case, Lalk has shown he is capable. Oni has all the tools but has always been inconsistent and sounds improved, Taiese is violent but lacked the understanding of the offense but is pushing, Scoggins has all the physical and nasty attributes but needs a little more understanding. There should be a good solid two deep at the guard position next fall. Even better is Scoggins can work his way into the C positon.

My dream scenario is Scoggins pushes Lalk out of the C position, Philbert takes one of the OT positions and Taiese over takes Lalk and Oni at guard. That means we have three guys beating out former starters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News