ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Fla. WR Journeys to Iowa State Camp

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

An offered Iowa State wide receiver visited campus last week and participated in the Thursday Night Primetime Camp, further showcasing his skills to the coaching staff.

St. Petersburg (Fla.) Lakewood rising senior TJ Tampa said it was a busy day on campus for him.

“I got to talk to my position coach, see the weight room, talk to an athletic trainer, watch an academic presentation, meet with a business advisor, do a photo shoot, sat in a team meeting and talked to the head coach,” said Tampa, who has been on the Cyclones’ radar for months.

“I heard other people say there is nothing to do, but once you get the family feel of the players and coaches then you don’t need all the things outside of campus.”

In addition to the one he has from ISU, Tampa also has offers from Cincinnati, Illinois State, Liberty, Maryland, Northern Illinois and South Florida.

In addition to participating in the camp, the Florida receiver met with Cyclone position coach Nate Scheelhaase who laid out the staff’s plans for him.

“The talk went really well and he said I would fit in well on and off the field,” Tampa said. “They said I have the capability to play inside and outside as a wide receiver. I like the offense that they run, because they have many ways to get the ball in the air. It’s a pass heavy (system).”

Following his performance at camp, Tampa met with head coach Matt Campbell for one final conversation. He said the Cyclones have made him a priority and that there are still a few slots left in the 2020 class.

“It was a good talk and he talked about how the culture is at Iowa State and how the school is on a come up,” Tampa said. “He also shared how the fan base is crazy and how I also fit in with the program. I shared with him how impressed I am with the school and the fan base. I think they want to sign four and the have two spots left. Depending on if they get a commit, that is most likely going to rush my process.”

Reactions: r_rich_r
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News