ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Fla. DB Looks to Reschedule ISU Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Although he had to cancel official visit plans to Iowa State earlier in the season, a Florida Class of 2017 defensive back said he is considering future weekends.

Ocala Vanguard’s Tyree Gillespie said he is hearing frequently from the coaching staff, including defensive coordinator/safeties coach Jon Heacock.

“It’s going great and we’re keeping in close contact,” said Gillespie. “They want me to go on an official visit up there soon. I was supposed to come out a few weeks ago, but I ended up having to do something. We’re scheduling it for an upcoming week.

“I’ve seen a couple videos of how the games are. I like the way they play with their safeties and stuff. I’ve talked to the defensive coordinator before and like him. He always wishes me good luck before our games, he always keeps in touch and tells me to play hard.”

The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Gillespie is coveted by the Cyclones because of his ability as a tough brand of safety.

“They love me as a student and player,” he said. “They love how I’m big, physical, fast and am not afraid to come up and make a lot of big hits. I’m also very versatile and can play a lot of different positions. They would like me to come in and play safety and have said I’m at the top of their recruiting list and stuff like that.”

In addition to the one he has from ISU, Gillespie has offers from Missouri, Florida A&M and New Mexico. He’s also garnering interest from other Power-5 programs in the southeast.

“Iowa State, Tennessee, Florida State, Georgia and a lot of other schools are hitting me up,” he said. “I’m mostly wide open. I don’t have any official visits scheduled yet, but a lot of coaches are hitting me up trying to get me on visits when they have time.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News