ADVERTISEMENT

FB commits so far

SPECTRE

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Instead of arguing about MBB, I thought I would run down our FB commit list and hopefully start a discussion. I'm by no means an expert, but here's what I see in the class so far:

Matt Leo, DE - Man, does he have the measurables and I'm guessing toughness isn't an issue. He's really raw and didn't blow up the stat sheet this year, but everyone sees the potential. Kind of an even more raw Jhaustin Thomas. If he was a 3 to play 3, he would have probably gotten even better offers. Helps that he's here for the spring. How much he plays depends on Waggoner's health and whether they decide to move Bailey from Leo to DE (I doubt it, but he has the size). I could easily see Matt Leo starting later on in the season.

Ray Lima, DT - Sat out this year or he would have had more offers. Big DT that can move. I expect with the holes on the interior DL that he'll be in competition to start from Day 1. He has 3 to play, so that's a real benefit although we've heard that the staff thinks he could be one and done. I doubt that, but it would be great if he's that good.

Matt Eaton, WR - Personally, I didn't see the need for a JUCO here, but the staff has raved about him. Big target, decent speed, didn't do much at Temple. I feel like the staff went after him thinking that Lazard might go pro. He is going to be in the rotation, but I don't know that he starts. I actually think that they might play Ryen some on the outside just to put some more speed on the field.

Datrone Young, CB - Committed in November after ISU missed out on a few of their top targets. He tackles really well and is a decent hitter. Looks to me to have good hips. For sure RS and maybe he plays the next year. Could be a starter down the line, but he looks like a backup and special teams player for his first few years.

Dan Sichterman, DE - I never really got this one. Seems like a hustle player. Listed at 6-3 235, but I think that's an exaggeration. Doesn't really have a big frame. The staff must really see something in him...most of the other offers are MAC and 1AA. Seems like a 1AA player, but then we've seen that those guys can turn out well.

John Nagel, TE/DE - Big athlete and former UNI commit. I have no problem with them taking him. Guessing he starts out at DE, but he could play TE. Just guessing, but he could end up at DT or OT down the line. ISU has always lacked big athletes, so this is an investment in the future.

Cordarrius Bailey, DE - This kid was probably their #1 at Leo the whole year. Going to need to put on a bunch of weight, but he could be good down the line if he can keep his quickness and speed. Other schools have been sniffing around but he seems solid.

Kamilo Tongamoa, DT - A massive guy for sure. Maybe not the quickest DT you'll see, but he can move. Kind of a freight train when he gets going. Does a good job of watching the ball carrier while being blocked. He'll be in the DT rotation no doubt. Has an Oregon offer now, so I hope we can keep him.

Kam White, S - Great athlete on a really good team in MS. Gotta hold off Ole Miss. One of the keys to the class. I actually think that he could end up at LB. But if ISU can hold on to him, I don't think that there's any doubt that he plays next year.

Deven Lamp, DE - ISU took a chance on him as he was a backup last year. Good size and potential. I think that he has the frame to put on 50 lbs and if he does, he could be a really good player. There's rumors that he may not be part of this class...whether that's grades or ISU passing I don't know.

Alex Kleinow, OL - Missed most of last year with injury and the staff offered in camp this summer. He's a nasty OL, which is dearly needed by ISU. Should be a good player down the line.

Charlie Kolar, TE - Really similar to Chase Allen. Played a lot of WR in HS. He's a big kid and should easily be at 6'6 245 after a RS year. The staff is slowly rounding the TE position into shape.

Angel Dominguez, DE - I think that he eventually ends up inside. Injury took him out for pretty much this whole season. Hard nosed player who ISU really went after hard. ISU needs to grow their HS DTs and this kid is a start to doing that.

Jake Hummel, LB - Looks like he played a lot of OLB in HS and will probably move to MIKE at ISU. Has decent speed, decent size. I see no reason why he couldn't be 230 coming off a RS year and backing up Sutton.

Richard Bowens, DB - Interesting player. Has good size and is a track champ. I'm not sure where he plays. Doesn't have Young's tackling ability, so Star is probably out. Guessing FS where he can use his speed to track down passes.

Jeff Nogaj, OL - Didn't have many other offers, but the staff was after him for awhile and they know OLs. He seems like kind of a grinder. And just as nasty as Kleinow. I'm guessing he plays OG and is a road grader for us in a few years.

Colin Newell, OL - No other real offers, but the kid has good size and decent feet. Maybe plays a little too high at times, but it's hard to tell with shorter competition. Should be a contributor down the line if he puts in the work in the weight room.

Josh Johnson, WR - Reminds me a lot of guys like Darius Darks and RJ Sumrall. Not extremely big or fast or elusive, but does everything well. He can play the M, he can play outside. If we didn't have such good WR depth, I'd say that he would play this fall, but I'm betting he red shirts and is in the rotation as a RSFR.

O'Rien Vance, LB - We're going to like this kid. He looks like a B12 LB. Probably needs 15 lbs, but he makes a lot of plays. I'm guessing he redshirts. Could eventually play Leo if he keeps growing.

Devon Moore, QB - Reminds me some of a lefty Arnaud. Big kid that can pick up some yards running, but he's not a true running QB. He has a big arm, but not like Park's. Passes more rainbows than bullets. I think that with the young QBs on the roster, the staff felt like they could take a chance on a talented player that maybe isn't as polished as some others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News