ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing moment at the grocery store

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I went out and put a $20,000 down payment on a 2021 GMC Denali today and thought while I'm out and about, I should hit the grocery store. I go to check out and my card is declined because I have surpassed my limit for the day. I didn't have enough cash on me to pay the $75 and change, so I was about to tell them that I'd just have to abandon the groceries. Instead, this nice little old lady in line behind me piped up and said she'd pay it. Of course, I declined, but she insisted. I asked her for her address so I could send her the money and she said, "No, just pay it forward." Apparently, when you ask the bank to raise your spending limit on your debit card to $20,000, it's per day, not per transaction. Who knew? I thanked the lady profusely and slunk out of the store as embarrassed as I could be.

I'm sure no one bought my story of having just plunked down $20K for a vehicle, especially since I'm still driving my 2011 Crown Vic. I can't pick up my Denali until after Christmas for some reason, probably because I still owe them over 20K, but I can't get that money until after the first of the year because of taxes. Why it's OK to get it a few days after Christmas, but not a few days before Christmas, is unclear to me. I wanted to get the truck in December because the dealership is having an employee pricing event during this month and I wanted to take advantage of that. I'm paying 7K less for this vehicle by making the deal now than I would be paying in January.

Has anyone else ever paid for anything for you or have you ever paid anything for someone else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News