ADVERTISEMENT

Drake Relays - Register Rant

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
I usually don't pick on the Des Moines Register for what many consider a Hawkeye bias. This morning I'm checking out the sports page and see the following headline: Hawkeye trio speeds way to men’s 110-meter hurdle final. A large picture of a hurdler in Hawkeye gear accompanied the article. So like I typically do I skip over the article and look for one talking about the Cyclones relay teams that won yesterday. No other Drake Relays article to be found.

I start reading the article to see what these hurdlers did that was so great. The article leads off with the news that two Hawkeyes qualified for the finals by finishing with the fourth and sixth best time. A former Hawkeye also qualified. 14 hurdlers ran in the preliminaries vying for 8 spots in the final.

The next part of the story was about the Iowa State 4x800 Relay team that broke a 26 year old Drake Relays record in the event. Why wasn't that the lead story and headline, along with picture?

The third story was about another Drake Relays record, this one in the 1500, with a Drake runner finishing second.

The fourth story was about the Cyclones winning the sprint medley relay. It was followed by UNI women winning the 4x200 and a UNI guy finishing fourth in the shot put and discus (along with a big picture).

It seems to me the Cyclone record breaking relay team was the lead story, not some preliminary results in the hurdles. The other Cyclone relay team victory and the UNI women's relay team win were the next biggest news. Or maybe go with the two record breaking performances.

End of rant. I rarely call out the Register, but this just hit me wrong this morning as if some Hawkeye editor was manipulating the news.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News