ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else watch The Voice?

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I have to confess, it's one of my guilty pleasures, but I hate the way they name the finalists now. They have to get one from each of the coaches' teams. I thought it was called The Voice because you wanted to find the person with the best voice. But it seems any more, they are just trying to make sure no celebrity judge feels left out because no one from his or her team was chosen as a finalist. Finalists used to be chosen based strictly on audience voting, no matter which team the contestant was on, not by which singer got the most votes on each of the four teams. In the original way of determining finalists, there were often years when one or more coaches had no one in the finals, and that's how it should be if you want to have the contestants judged fairly. It's a contestant driven show, after all, not a celebrity driven show. I think they went this route because one year, Blake Shelton had 6 contestants in the final 11 or so and at least one coach only had one contestant left. There have been multiple years where Shelton had two contestants left among the final 4. I don't know if they changed the way they do it because of this, but it sure seems like a stupid way to determine the best singer from among the 40 or so contestants. I don't know, maybe the producers thought the show was boiling down to a popularity contest among the judges and that's why Shelton always had so many finalists. It's still stupid.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News