ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Defender is a Top La. Target for Cyclones

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State has an offer out to a large three-star defensive tackle/inside linebacker from a top high school program in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Landry-Walker’s Shamod Sullivan, who also has an offer from Troy, said he’s hearing from the Cyclones’ running back coach Lou Ayeni.

“The last time I talked to Iowa State was last month after Coach Ayeni came to my school for the second time,” said Sullivan. “He just came by my school and asked how my workouts were going and how I was doing. I have his phone number and we’ve also texted a couple times.”

The 6-foot-1, 250-pound Sullivan, who has a 5.5 Rivals rating, has an offer from Troy to go along with interest from Kansas State.

The defender helped lead his team to a Class 5A state championship this past fall, where it toppled West Monroe. Sullivan recorded 68 tackles, 11 sacks, three forced fumbles and three blocked kicks.

Sullivan’s junior season was more than enough to put him on the Cyclones’ radar.

“They said my tape was impressive,” he said. “I look forward to getting to meet more of the coaches, building some relationships with the staff and learning more about the program during this process.”

Since picking up his I-State offer in late January, Sullivan said he’s done some research on the program and likes what he’s seen.

“I think (Jack Trice Stadium) has a great atmosphere,” he said. “I saw some videos that they posted on their Twitter and so many of their games are alive. They have a lot of support from their fan base. The Big 12 is a great conference, too, with the level of competition. And they play a 4-3 defense and I think that’s a defense I fit well in.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News