ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING DE Jones Ready for Return Visit to Ames

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

It will be an in-state defensive end’s first trip to campus in nearly a year when he makes his way to Ames this Saturday for the season opener against South Dakota State.

Council Bluffs Lewis Central junior Logan Jones said he’s ready to look into more of the Iowa State experience this weekend.

“I’m really excited to come back up there and talk to the coaches,” said Jones, who last traveled to Ames last September for the Cy-Hawk game. “I talked to Coach Hoodjer and I’m going to come up there a little early to check out the campus. That’s one thing I haven’t been able to look at much. I’m looking forward to checking out where the students stay and the dorms.”

The 6-foot-3, 252-pound Jones is a three-star recruit with a 5.6 Rivals rating. He also has offers from Iowa and Minnesota.

As he evaluates the Cyclone program, Jones says one aspect sticks out above all others.

“The coaches are really good and really friendly,” he said. “They’re really good to talk to and I like them a lot. It’s easy to talk to them. I can tell they’re interested in me and that always feels good as a player. When they show that towards me, it really boosts my confidence.”

Jones opted to shy away from much of the camp circuit this year, instead focusing on some individual workouts.

“This summer has been a really big one for me,” he said. “I worked on everything. My coach and I do everything together – he’s my track coach, my football coach and my basketball coach my freshman year. We’ll do 40 starts and pro agility. Then we’ll get into the football stuff where it’s hand fights, get-off and reading whether it’s a pass set or run blocking, to where I’ll need to decide what type of move to make.”

That paid off handsomely for Jones and his Titan teammates last Friday in a 42-14 victory over Sergeant Bluff-Luton. Jones recorded a pair of tackles, one tackle-for-loss and a sack in the game. Lewis Central, which moved down to Class 3A this season, will travel to Carlisle this weekend.

“It was a tough week for us grinding it out through the heat and everything,” he said. “We weren’t looking down on them just because it’s 3A. We knew they were a good team, so we made sure to bring it all week in practice. We really want to win a state championship.”

Jones is the second Lewis Central standout to have been offered by the Cyclones in recent years, with the other being 2019 TCU quarterback commit Max Duggan. Jones said he’s gotten some good advice from Duggan on the recruiting process.

“He said you’ll feel whether or not it’s a comfortable fit and to just trust the process,” Jones said. “He’s given me some good tips.”

Reactions: itsbuck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News