ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Davis Connection in Play with Miami DE

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

The spectacular careers that the Davis brothers, Troy and Darren, had in Ames put Iowa State on the map at Miami (Fla.) Southridge High School for years to come. That remains the case in the year 2017, as the Cyclones have offered and are in hard pursuit of a defensive end that knows the family well.

Standout junior Randy Charlton, who recently picked up an offer from I-State, said he’s heard plenty about the program from both Darren Davis and his son, Darren Jr., who is a close friend.

“I stay right next to Darren,” said Charlton. “His son Darren catches a ride with me quite a bit, since he transferred from Columbus to Southridge. Darren’s dad told me that Iowa State is a great school, education-wise and sports-wise. He said there’s a good balance up there.”

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Charlton, who is a three-star recruit with a Rivals rating of 5.7, currently has Power-5 offers from the likes of ISU, Illinois, Mississippi State and Nebraska.

He says the Cyclone coaching staff really picked up its interest around the time they offered, with Eli Rasheed on the point.

“The coaches started texting me and were sending me things,” Charlton said. “They’ve done a great job recruiting me. I like how they send me pictures of me inside their uniform already. I do want to go up there and it will probably be sometime at the beginning of the summer.

“They were telling me about the defense and how I could fit. They think I could play a big role on the defensive line, because I’m a good edge rusher and can also transfer into defending the run. I’m a very versatile player.”

Charlton is apparently being targeted to play the Leo position in the ISU defense, a spot he finds very appealing.

“I’ve done a lot of research on the defense and they run the same defense that we run in high school,” Charlton said. “The defensive ends often will transfer to a linebacker. They have like a hybrid position, the Leo, which is what I play. I like that I could do both from the spot, cover and also rush the quarterback.”

Thanks to the fit and level of interest the Cyclones have shown, Charlton said they are pretty high on his list to this point.

“I’d put Iowa State in my top-five right now, because I really like how they’re paying attention to me and selling me on the fit I’d be in their defense,” Charlton said. “I’d also put Nebraska, Florida, Illinois and Miami (Fla.) in there.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Chester90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News