ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Gable

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
I caught a little of Dan Gable on the radio this afternoon. He was talking about being recruited to coach at Iowa. He said there was a guy planted at Iowa State that was reporting on Gable. As soon as Gable accepted the Iowa job, the spy left Iowa State.

Gable talked like he had no intention of leaving Iowa State. Iowa gave him an offer, which he hadn't really thought much about and Iowa wasn't pressing for a decision. But then he got a call and they told him they changed their mind and needed a decision. It was probably a calculated move to get him. He didn't sound like he was inclined to take it. Iowa wasn't that good of a program and Iowa State was at the top of the wrestling world. He called his dad and he said to take it. The same for his mom. Then he checked with his friends and they said to take it. He took it and the rest is history. It was interesting that he was reluctant to leave Iowa State, but we let him get away. But we really didn't have a place for him with Nichols at the help of our top notch program. It was bad timing and bad luck for ISU.

I had never heard that story and thought I would share. If anyone listened a little better than I did, please correct me and add more details if you have them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News