ADVERTISEMENT

Cygarin Ratings Update......

Cygarin

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2001
The Cygarin Ratings have been updated. Updated with what, I don't know.

Here we are technically in the 6th week of the fooball season, and we have virtually no data to work with, and absolutley no data whatsoever to compare P5 conferences with each other....and we never will. Even though there are power ranking and polls...there really is no way to know how any conference, nor teams compare with each other.

At least at this time, I won't even try. For one, the Big-12 has played three games, and the Big-10 has played none. Therefore the Big-12 is being scrutinized on actually play and the Big-10 is being scrutinized on they annual pre-season over-hype. Just keep reminding yourself that it means nothing.....except the path has been cut to put two SEC teams, one ACC team, and one Big-10 team into the play-offs based on "eye test" only. You might just as well accept that already.

At this time, I have left out most of Iowa and the Big-10. I will fill that in later. Ok, so Iowa State and the Big-12.....

First, my rankings are not based on Sagarin, but rather a "blend"..... a cross between bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, featherbed bent, and northern California sinsimilla. Sagarin nor any other singlular power ranking "fit" the conference peformance to date. As a result of my blending nearly all teams except OSU and KU are ranked about the same, and right not that is seemingly accurate.

However, as noted before, not all schedules are the same, with home and away....and particularly whom....making a surprising drastic difference in strength of schedules. Keep in mind though, whether that benefits you or hurts you depends on how good you are, verus who you get to play at home or away. Example, if you are bad, you want your weakest opponents at home. If you are good, you want your strongest opponents at home. That is going to make the best probablity for maximizing your potential wins.

That is where Iowa State is sittinging pretty. We have beat TCU on the road and Oklahoma at home. Under the premise that nearly all teams are created equal, beting TCU on the road is HUGE! The fact that TCU turned around and beat Texas on the road shows how huge that win was. And beating Oklahoma at home give us an upper hand on potential final standings over teams like Texas and Oklahoma, who both lost at home.

Right now Iowa State has a projected record of 6-3, for a second place finish in the Big-12, with OSU being No. 1.

However, OSU has played two fo the softest games on their schedule (@KU, WVU at home) and have a guntlet facing them going forward. Arguably, OSU has the toughest non-conference schedule (especially remaining) of all the potenial conference contendors. Kansas State is not far behind.

So as I said, Iowa State is sitting in a pretty good place right now. However, that is highly dependent on all teams being more or less equal, and I don't think that will hold going foward. What we don't know though, is who is going to break from the pack. So, it looks good now....but don't get your hopes up too high.

A caution though, Iowa State has the best two-game success, but it is actually TCU and Kansas State that have the single best wins...@ Texas, and @OU respectivly. But that is based on power rankings and does not conider TCU as highly ranked as Texas or OU (right or wrong).

Texas Tech.....

I have my concerns about the Raiders. Even though they are 0-2, that record came from playing two seriously tough teams. They lost to Texas at home in overtime, and lost to Kansas State on the road. Remember, Oklahoma lost to KSU at home.

Vegas has Iowa State as a double-digit favorite, and I have the good guys as an 8-point favorite. I don't like either, and I think this game come comes down to Iowa State being favored by perhaps a tad more than home field advantage.

Anywhoo, that's all I got, which ain't much. But at least the Cygarin Ratings are up an rolling for those that were asking for them.

(In my opinion.)

Linky.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News