ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones Top Six for Texas WR

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Although he announced a top-six back in June, a Class of 2019 wide receiver may be thinking heavily about two schools these days as a decision looms for later this season.

Wylie (Texas) senior Donovan Ollie, who took an unofficial visit to Iowa State back in June, is talking about a return trip to Ames in the coming weeks as he zeroes in on a commitment.

“I talk to the coaches a lot and feel like I have a lot of trust in those guys,” said Ollie. “We have a good bond. They also really like big receivers like me and get it to the outside receivers. They like to throw the ball, so I feel like that’s a place I can fit.

“We had a conversation about me coming up for an official visit in October, but we haven’t talked too much about it in a while. I just have to check back in and get it settled. We have a bye week in October and have a couple days off, so I could fly out on Friday and make the game on Saturday.”

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Ollie’s official visit to Iowa State would happen the weekend of October 12th, as his team is off and the Cyclones host West Virginia.

Ollie said his recruitment by the ISU coaches has evolved in the months since he was originally offered and visited in early June during camp season.

“At first, they were saying I’d be a perfect fit and would have an early opportunity to play,” he said. “We run the same offense at my high school, so it would be an easy transition for me to adapt to. They like to give a number of people the ball.

Now at this point of the recruiting process, they’re checking up on me to see how I’m doing on a personal level. They wish me good luck before games. That’s the type of bond we have. I’m excited.”

ISU made a solid early bid to stay in the running with Ollie, as the Texan traveled north to the state for the first time.

“My mom and I went up there and we loved it,” he said. “It was great. They showed me great class and around the whole place. I love the coaches, campus and everything. I met a couple wide receivers like Hakeem Butler and Matthew Eaton and they were cool. They gave me their numbers and said I could call them anytime with questions.”

After hearing about the Cyclones turning heads during 2017, Ollie said he’s looking forward to following along this fall.

“I’m excited to watch, see how they’re doing and see the offense work,” he said. “I feel they’re going to be a good team in the Big 12 and have a big impact on the conference like they did last year. I want to watch them a little bit more, because it’s an offense I might like to be a part of.”

Of the finalist list that had included ISU, Washington State, Northwestern, Utah, Boston College and Kansas, Ollie appears to be zeroing in on a pair of schools given what his official visit plans look like.

“I’ll most likely be making my decision during the season,” he said. “I want to take a couple of visits and then hopefully get it settled after that. I have a visit coming up to Washington State the weekend of September 8th and then probably Iowa State after that.”

Reactions: D30Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News