ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Cyclones Target Kansas JUCO Lineman

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Opening the 2019 season with four senior starters on the offensive line, Iowa State is looking to the junior college ranks to replenish some of that depth in time for 2020.

Independence (Kan.) redshirt freshman Jeremy Flax earned an offer from the Cyclones last month and the staff is selling him on the opportunity to compete for a first-team role next year.

“I was excited when I got the offer, because it was one of my first Power-5 offers,” said Flax, who is being recruited by ISU assistant Alex Golesh. “They had talked to my coaches for about a week or two and then I talked to them for about six or seven days before offering. They like my athleticism, how I play and how physical I am on the field. They said I’ll be a really good piece on the offensive line. They want me to come up there and play for them.”

The 6-foot-6, 315-pound Flax, who was a non-qualifier out of Dearborn Heights (Mich.) Robichaud High School in the 2018 class, redshirted last fall at Independence. He is on track to graduate in December and would have three seasons of eligibility remaining.

In addition to I-State, Flax has Power-5 offers from Maryland and West Virginia, plus several offers from schools in the G5 ranks. He took his first official visit last weekend to Toledo.

Since securing an offer from the Cyclones, Flax said he’s started learning more about the program.

“I’ve been watching a couple highlights and stuff, but haven’t really tuned in on Saturdays yet,” he said. “I’ve heard of them moving up the ranks the past couple years and they’ve been pretty decent. I like that they play in the Big 12, because it’s one of the best conferences of all the P5s.”

Given Independence’s schedule during the last half of the regular season. Flax’s recruitment will likely come down to the final weeks leading up to the December signing day. He says that’s as early as an ISU visit would happen.

“It may be in the works and we have talked about it a little bit, but I’m just really trying to focus on the season right now and probably won’t take any more visits (until the end of the season),” Flax said. “We play six straight Saturdays and are out of bye weeks, so I won’t have a chance to.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News