ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones Offer Texas ATH on Offense

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A three-star athlete with multiple Power-5 offers recently added one from Iowa State and said he’s intrigued at what the coaching staff would ask him to do at the next level.

Converse (Texas) Judson senior Julon Williams, who is his team’s starting quarterback, appears headed to the slot receiver position at the next level. He says Iowa State has offered him at that spot.

“It was just a regular day,” said Williams. “My coach called me and told me they were interested in me and were looking for me to play a little slot (receiver) at their school. The coaches said they’d been loving my film and had been trying to get in contact with me. They think I’m an elusive player, a good playmaker in space and want the ball in my hands. They want me to be a Cyclone.”

Offensively, the 5-foot-8, 185-pound Williams does a little bit of everything for one of Texas’ perennial 5A powers.

“We play in a spread offense that’s probably 60-40 (pass to run),” Williams said. “I’ll get the ball in space off the read-options and I’ll have the option to run or pass. I also make the in-pocket throws like in an air-raid.”

Williams said he is still exploring what position he wants to play at the next level, but likes what the Cyclones have to offer.

“It’s pretty cool and is at the next level,” he said. “I’m blessed. I’m glad they offered me on the offensive side of the ball, because I’m more comfortable there. At the slot, the ball is going to be in my hands in open space where I like it. I really like what they have to offer, so now it’s just trying to see if I can get up there on an official visit or some type of visit to explore the visit and see what all the Cyclones have to offer.”

ISU head coach Matt Campbell and offensive coordinator Tom Manning have taken the reins on Williams’ recruitment and gave him the news of the offer earlier this month.

“I’m not too familiar with them, but I know they’re a big-conference team that play real big games,” Williams said. “They usually have good teams every year, so I know they’re a pretty good program. I need to get up there to see what Iowa State’s all about.”

A three-star recruit with a 5.5 Rivals rating, Williams also has P5 offers from Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Virginia. He’s starting to look at where he wants to travel to this fall, but has nothing scheduled at this point.

“Right now, I’m just checking into everything that comes my way,” he said. “I need to see if I’m going to play quarterback at the next level of if I want to play slot at the next level. I can play quarterback in the ACC or slot in the Big 12.

“I’m going to get back with (Iowa State) when I have an open schedule, because the season is in effect right now. I told them whenever I have time or even after the season, I can probably get up there to see what’s up.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News