ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones Making Final Push for Purdy

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Five Iowa State coaches made their final sales pitch last night to an Arizona prep quarterback that has seen his recruiting stock soar since the start of winter.

Gilbert Perry three-star senior Brock Purdy will take his final official visit of the process this weekend and plans to announce a decision next Wednesday, so the meeting with ISU staffers Tom Manning, Jim Hofher, Bryan Gasser, Alex Golesh and Taylor Mouser was a big one in the program’s efforts to land the quarterback.

“Basically, they broke down what the situation was for them, why they need a quarterback and how they want me to be that guy,” said Purdy, who has also taken official visits to I-State, Alabama, UCF and Boise State.

“They want me to come in, compete and be ready to play. They want me to get the program to the next level. They were just awesome, normal guys that enjoy being with my family. It was really neat of them to come down and we really appreciate their time. We all had a good talk. I got a good feel for the coaches. They wanted to tell me their thoughts and ideas before I headed to (Texas) A&M and made a decision.”

Purdy said he likes what he heard from the five coaches, and in his continued conversations with head coach Matt Campbell.

“We’ve texted and call each other usually every night,” he said. “We’re always talking and communicating. They have Kyle Kempt trying to get his sixth year of eligibility, but they said they still want me to come in, compete, learn the playbook and earn your spot wherever it is in the depth chart. Always be ready to play at any moment in time. Whenever I step on campus in the summer, they said I’ll hopefully have all the playbook stuff done and can get going from there if I choose Iowa State.”

As Purdy alluded to, he’ll be headed to College Station this weekend following a visit from Aggie offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey.

Coming out of a busy month of January, with one more trip left to go, Purdy said he is now working off a list of four schools.

“UCF, Alabama, Iowa State and Texas A&M are probably my top four,” he said. “I’ve been talking to Texas A&M for about two weeks now and figured they would offer soon. Coach Dickey came out and saw me in person to offer me. He wanted to make sure he got me out there this weekend for a visit to see the place and get a feel for it. We scheduled it. My family and I don’t want to leave any stone unturned. We’ll make a decision from there.”

Asked about what all stands out as positives for the Cyclones, Purdy said a number of factors.

“I would say probably that it’s a good college town, great fan base and I have a really good relationship with the coaching staff,” he said. “The system they run offensively, I’d be a good fit in there. I really like the area. I really like how Ames has a college town feel. Those are the pluses for Iowa State.”

Arizona’s Gatorade Player of the Year in 2017, Purdy said he will make his announcement at 10 a.m. local time in his school’s auditorium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News