ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones Jump in on Texas Corner

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State recently joined a crowded pack of schools recruiting a Class of 2018 three-star cornerback who is a top-50 overall prospect in the Lone Star State.

Houston Cypress Falls junior Starrland Baldwin said he’s hearing a lot from one member of the Cyclones’ coaching staff.

“I’ve mainly talked to the running backs coach Lou Ayeni,” said Baldwin. “He came to talk to me a couple months ago at the school and we’ve built a relationship from there. He contacted me about a week or two ago and told me I had an offer from Iowa State.

“He said they needed guys like me in the program. The coaching staff really likes that I play both ways and am good with the ball in my hands. I’m a cornerback that can track down the ball.”

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound Baldwin certainly was a threat on both sides of the ball as a junior. He recorded 46 tackles, 15 pass breakups and three interceptions on defense. Through 10 games, he had nine receptions for 144 yards as well as 12 carries for 174 yards and one touchdown.

Baldwin said he’s liked what he’s seen of Ayeni, and heard of an I-State program that plays in the Big 12.

“Not many coaches made the trip to Houston to come visit me like Coach Ayeni did,” Baldwin said. “He was one of the first coaches to contact me before everything took off. He’s made a pretty good impression on me. I look forward to meeting Coach Ayeni and the rest of the staff and building relationships with them.

“I also like the fact they play twice in Texas each year, so I can have my family come see me play more often. Hopefully I can get up there for a visit. I’ve got a pretty busy schedule right now, but Iowa State is definitely a place I want to visit.”

In addition to ISU, Baldwin has Power-5 offers from Arizona, Kansas, Oklahoma and TCU.

Reactions: RWClemente21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News