ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones in the Race for Next Killins

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Picking a side is paying dividends for a Florida high school junior who has now secured offers from a pair of Power-5 programs.

Iowa State is one of those top programs to jump in the fray for Port Orange Spruce Creek Class of 2019 prospect Travon Killins, who said he has no regrets about choosing the defensive side of the ball.

“This was my first year at a new position, cornerback,” said Killins. “I had originally played running back. I’m an athlete and like to play both sides of the ball, but I had to make a decision on what I wanted to play at the next level which is college football. I chose defense and this season moved to a whole new position. I loved cornerback and it turned out good for me. I learned some things from my position coach. I learned real fast and had a great season.”

After a couple of G5 programs jumped into the mix, the Cyclones were the third and Killins said it took his recruitment to another level.

“I received my first two offers from Memphis and Arkansas State, and then Iowa State came in and that was really unexpected,” he said. “Iowa State is in the Big 12 and one of the best teams in the conference. I believe they chose me because I fit in the Big 12 Conference. They pass a lot and this offer gives me a chance to show my strength, which is covering.”

A pair of the Cyclones’ top recruiters have been in contact with the 6-foot-0, 175-pound Killins, in hopes of landing the cornerback for a visit.

“I’ve been hearing from Coach (Tyson) Veidt and Coach (D.K.) McDonald,” Killins said. “Sometime around June, they want to get me up there on campus for an official visit. They want to talk some more football and show me around the facilities. We were talking about how they’re going to use me on the field. They like the way I cover and how I come up to make tackles. They see me being a big playmaker for them.”

In addition to what he’s discovered from those two coaches, Killins said he’s confided in his older brother Adrian who was recruited by the Cyclones prior to landing at UCF.

“I’ve definitely found out about the facilities,” he said. “Coach McDonald sent me some videos of how they looked. I already knew a little beforehand, because they recruited my brother when he was in high school and went on an official visit.

“They have one of the top football facilities in the nation. He told me that it’s pretty up there and they have so much to offer. What I like from talking to the coaches is they’re people persons and I feel I can build a relationship with them. I’m starting to like Iowa State more and more the more I talk to them.”

Killins said he also likes what he’s seen of the defense that he would slot into if he signs in the 2019 class.

“The coaches have talked to me about their last game, the Liberty Bowl, and I was actually watching that game on TV the same week I was in Atlanta getting ready to watch my brother play against Auburn in the Peach Bowl,” he said. “It was a real good game. I noticed some things about their defense. My dad said that was a defense that I would be able to play in and fits me well.”

Although it’s still relatively early in his recruitment, Killins said a few programs are emerging as his favorites.

“I believe Iowa State is one of my top schools; I can’t even lie,” he said. “It offers a great education and has a great football program. I love the coaching staff as a whole. I also like Minnesota and Memphis. I’m just thankful that I’m receiving offers, because it’s four years of free education and some people don’t look at it like that.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News