ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones in the Lead for Texan Todd

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A recent visit to Iowa State has put the program out in front of the eight offers on the table for a Class of 2019 offensive lineman from the Lone Star State.

Crosby (Texas) junior Chayse Todd said he enjoyed the time he spent with a freshman already on campus as well as the experiences he shared with members of head coach Matt Campbell’s staff.

“I went up there and stayed with Re-Al Mitchell, who is a freshman quarterback,” said Todd. “I stayed in his room and we talked it up a little bit. He talked to me about Iowa State and the coaches they have. I also played some video games with the guys.

“A couple of the coaches showed me around the campus. I really enjoyed the campus and it was really nice and had a good culture. I hung out with the whole coaching staff and talked it up with them for a while.”

The 6-foot-3, 280-pound big man said his position meeting with coach Jeff Myers also went well and gave him a vision for what he could accomplish in Ames.

“Coach Myers and I talked for about 45 minutes,” Todd said. “We talked about my film and what I need to get better and improve in my game this coming season. We also discussed how they will put me in the system at Iowa State. He loves the way I finish my blocks and really loves my aggressiveness. He said you don’t see that type of aggressiveness in younger offensive linemen and the want-to in finishing blocks. It really meant a lot talking to him.”

On the academic side of things, Todd came away impressed with his desired field of study.

“I got to see the engineering building and it was really nice,” he said. “They had an underground part that you rarely see. The engineering program at Iowa State is really big and it’s one of the biggest attractions to getting an education there.”

In addition to his Power-5 offer from ISU, Todd also has one from Kansas to go along with G5 programs Air Force, Army, New Mexico State, Texas State and UTEP.

He said the Cyclones are clearly in front after what he experienced over the course of his visit.

“Iowa State is really at the top of my leaderboard right now,” he said. “That visit really opened my eyes, because it was somewhat away from home and I really liked it. The culture up there is just amazing. The coaching staff has relationships with all of the players. The coaches and players interact so well and it’s like a family environment.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News