ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones Go Fishing for 4-Star Trout

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A four-star defensive tackle from the Class of 2018 recently picked up an offer from Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell.

St. Louis (Mo.) Chaminade rising junior Trevor Trout said he's intrigued by the newest program on his offer list.

"I got a message from them and they wanted me to give them a call," said Trout. "They wanted me to talk to the head coach and I talked to him for about 15 minutes. He wanted to let me know he was going to recruit me hard to come there. He told me they wiped out the coaching staff from last year and there were some new guys there trying to start something special. He told me how stacked the 2018 class was in the Midwest and how they're going to try to get those kids."

The 6-foot-3, 295-pound Trout, who also has offers from the likes of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M and UCLA, has received a Rivals ranking of 6.0.

He says the Cyclones liked what they saw on tape and decided to pull the trigger on an offer.

"I started hearing from them a couple weeks ago," Trout said. "The coaches said they really liked my film. I think they really liked my run defense and how I can run the quarterback out of the pocket."

Trout said he would like to get up to Ames for an unofficial visit during the fall, but is unsure of his schedule.

The big man, who comes out of the same program as former Cyclone running back Rob Standard, said he's looking forward to learning more about his newest offer school.

"I'm not very sure yet because I'm still learning a lot about the program," Trout said. "I've got a pretty decent feel for the head coach, defensive assistant and grad assistant. They seem like pretty decent guys.

"Otherwise, the most I know about them really is that one of the players from my school, Rob Standard, went there a few years back. Now that they're one of the schools that are recruiting me, I'll probably end up talking to him about it soon."

In addition to Campbell, Trout said he's been in contact with defensive line coach Eli Rasheed and graduate assistant Derek Hoodjer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News