ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclones Back in the Mix with Witt

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State is one of the Power-5 schools that has jumped back into the mix with a Class of 2020 defensive end who de-committed from a Big 10 school earlier this month.

Winona (Minn.) junior Aaron Witt had taken a pair of game-day visits to Iowa State during the first phase of his recruitment before committing to Minnesota last November. The three-star prospect de-committed from the Gophers last week and has opened back up his recruitment. It didn’t take him long to return to Ames for a more formal look at the program.

“I basically got to see the campus, the academics and athletics,” said Witt, who took an unofficial visit to Ames this past Saturday. “I had been down there on game-day visits, but never really a full visit. I got to talk to quite a few people on the coaching staff, like Coach (Eli) Rasheed, Coach (Matt) Campbell, Coach (Colby) Kratch, Coach (Jon) Heacock and Coach (Derek) Hoodjer. I hung out down there and had a good time. I wanted to evaluate it and see everything about it. I really wanted to feel it out.”

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Witt said he was impressed with what he saw of the Cyclones during his brief stay, especially the overall feel around Ames.

“I really liked the town,” he said. “It is really great and exceeded my expectations. It’s just a great college town and I really liked that. I really liked how genuine all the coaches are and they’re real people. They’re great guys and I love that about them.

“I also got to see some pictures and a video of the new addition they’re building. It looks really sweet and is going to be nice. Iowa State is definitely going to be a school that I’m going to think hard and long about. I really liked what I saw and all the people down there.”

Since opening up his recruitment, Witt has added an Oregon State offer to go along with the renewed interest from ISU and Iowa, which had previously offered. A three-star recruit with a 5.6 Rivals rating, Witt is the third overall prospect in Minnesota and the 30th strong-side defensive end nationally in the 2020 class.

Looking for their first commitment from a defensive end for next season, Iowa State has made no secret to Witt that he has become a priority.

“They think I can play either of the (defensive) end spots that they have up there,” he said. “(Rasheed) likes my speed rush. He said that they’re going to need to get some defensive linemen, especially ends in this 2020 class. He told me how much they really need me down there.”

Witt’s day at I-State wrapped up with a conversation in Campbell’s office.

“He was real with me and we talked about life, what’s going on with me and what’s going on with him,” Witt said. “He didn’t really give me a recruiting pitch. We just talked football and that’s what I really liked about him. He wasn’t trying to sell anything. He was real and showed me what they have. He didn’t try sugarcoating anything or put fluff on it. He was real across the board.”

After a positive experience over the weekend, Witt said he’s already planned his first official visit and that will be at ISU, June 14-16, with a stop at Iowa slated for the following weekend. He said the Cyclones and Hawkeyes are two schools setting the early pace.

“I’ve also been in contact with Wisconsin, Oregon State, California and North Dakota State,” he said. “Right now, I don’t really have any favorites and am just trying to sort everything out to find the right fit. I’m going to have a couple official visit this summer and have a couple planned out.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News