ADVERTISEMENT

*** Cyclone Report Announcement ***

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
As of midnight tonight, I will be retired.

I swear the basketball game had nothing to do with it.

It has been a goal to retire at 55 and we are making that happen, although I am definitely not ready for the hammock. I do have some other interests I am going to pursue and hopefully make a buck or two. My wife and I have also become foster parents, a challenge I am still trying to catch up to in regards to having the time and energy it demands.

I notified Rivals of my intentions to retire back in the summer. We agreed that I would stay on through December 31 and that day has come. Rivals did a great job in securing a new publisher and the transition will be seamless from today to tomorrow when that person takes over. There will be no interim, no lapse, no gap in having someone in the publisher role. It's not my place to announce who that person is, so you better stick around to find out!

It has been 17 years and 4 months since I started on September 1, 2002 (but who's counting). Obviously it has been a great gig for a sports guy that started cheering for ISU as a 7-year-old in 1971 and later attended Iowa State. I did a number of different things in media and athletics between ages 23 and 38 and it was all meant to prepare me for what was to come from 38 to 55. In some ways it seems like I just started; in other ways, not so much. I'll always be grateful to Rivals for the opportunity. If you do something long enough, there are inevitably highs and lows, but through it all I never forgot that I was fortunate to be chosen for the position.

The new publisher deserves the opportunity to make things happen without the old guy hanging around; so I'm not going to do so. But I'd love to stay in touch. Many of you are already face-to-face friends or facebook friends and you can never have too many friends of either kind. My facebook is https://www.facebook.com/paulclark1964 and my e-mail will continue to be paulclark@usa.com.

I will get to games, of course, and might see you around there, too. My favorite gift from this Christmas was my kids' plan to treat me to an all-expenses paid Cyclone home game. It's my understanding there's eating, drinking and carrying on allowed before the games, so I'm going to take that for a spin.

Thank you for being a subscriber. It has been my privilege.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News