ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Cyclone Game Day Impacts JUCO CB Nixon

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State hosted arguably the top JUCO cornerback on its Class of 2017 board over the weekend in conjunction with its game against San Jose State.

Arizona Western standout sophomore Keisean Nixon took his second official visit of the recruiting process, and said many aspects of his stop in Ames stood out.

“For sure, I liked it a lot,” said Nixon. “When I got in on Friday, there were fans up there tailgating already. Walking into the stadium, I heard fans yelling my name saying ‘Nixon come to Iowa State’ and stuff like that. I liked that a lot. I fell in love with the campus and fell in love with the school, so that’s going to play a big part in my decision.”

The 6-foot-0, 195-pound Nixon is a three-star recruit by Rivals and has Power-5 offers from the likes of Arkansas, California, Illinois, Kansas State, Kentucky, Missouri, Oregon State and Texas Tech.

An aspect that may give the Cyclones an edge over those other schools is Nixon’s relationship with current defensive back D’Andre Payne.

“My host was my roommate (at Arizona Western), so it was the same thing,” Nixon said. “It was great seeing my boy again. He really wants me to come up there and play with him. Early playing time (is a big deal), that’s for sure. He believes we can really make some things happen. If I go up there, he would be my roommate again.”

Nixon’s visit wrapped up on Sunday morning with a one-on-one chat with ISU head coach Matt Campbell.

“He said he’s going to keep recruiting me hard, and probably harder now because it’s after my visit,” Nixon said. “He was happy I took my official visit there. Every school is talking about playing time to me and I could play anywhere I go. I can fit into a lot of defenses and that doesn’t matter a lot to me. I just asked Coach Campbell to be patient and see what happens.”

With two official visits down (Nixon visited Colorado State in July), the cornerback is planning a Missouri stop the weekend of November 25th. He’s unsure where or if he’ll take his other two official visits. Nixon is planning a mid-year signing day announcement in December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News