ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING CR on the Road: 2019 QB Max Duggan

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

After taking an unofficial visit to Iowa State early last month, a Class of 2019 in-state quarterback received a visit from a member of the coaching staff during spring evaluations later in the month.

Lewis Central sophomore pro-style quarterback Max Duggan, who also has Power-5 offers from Iowa and Minnesota, said he was impressed with what he saw during his most recent stop in Ames.

“I went up there for a spring practice on April 1st and got to spend a lot more time up there,” said Duggan during an on-site interview with Cyclone Report on Friday. “I got to spend a lot of time with the coaches, got to go on a campus tour and see all the academics, so I got to see a lot of it.

“Offensively, they looked great. Their offensive line, quarterbacks, receivers and running backs were all playing well. The coaches were getting involved in it and coaching a lot. They were throwing the ball around and making plays, which was awesome to see.”

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Duggan zeroed in on the quarterbacks currently on the Cyclones’ roster, saying he likes what they bring to the table and how the group was coached by assistant Jim Hofher.

“The quarterbacks do a lot,” Duggan said. “They throw a quick-in and throw it down the field on play action. Coach Hofher is a great coach with the quarterbacks. I feel they learn a lot from him. I saw a lot with Jacob Park with his quick release, and that’s what I try to do personally. I try to get a quick release for myself and he does the same thing. Jacob has mobility, can move around the pocket and run if he needs to. I didn’t see a lot of Zeb (Noland), because he couldn’t go in the live. I saw Kyle Kempt and he can make every throw on the field, which was great. There were a lot of similarities to my style.”

Duggan, who is close to wrapping up his sophomore year of high school and has led the Titans to the state playoffs in each of his first two seasons on the varsity squad, said he also learned a lot from the position meeting he had with Hofher prior to the team scrimmage.

“I got to go into that with Coach Hofher and see how they talk with each other, how they develop and teach everyone,” Duggan said. “Afterwards, Coach Hofher and I got to go in and watch their practice. He would tell me what he’s telling them right here and how he coaches. He’d give them some grades. It was great to sit down with him.”

Following up on Duggan’s unofficial visit to Ames, I-State sent offensive coordinator Tom Manning to Lewis Central a few weeks ago during the spring evaluation period.

“We had a nice conversation and it was great to see him,” Duggan said. “We’re building that relationship right now. He’s telling me that it’s a big decision, and that Iowa State is growing a lot with the coaching staff and what they’re bringing in with recruits. He said their offense and culture are appealing to everyone, how their offense is and how I play.”

It’s setting up to be a busy next few months for Duggan, who plans to attend the Rivals Adidas camp in St. Louis, Missouri, on May 21st. The dual-threat quarterback has already taken part in the Nike Opening and Under Armour regional camps.

“I love getting to go to those camps and I think it’s awesome getting the opportunity to compete with the kids that are the best in the nation and the best in the region,” he said. “You get to see where you stand and throw to some kids that are top players. There’s a lot of good competition out there.”

The sophomore is already putting to use some of the coaching he got at the two previous camps he attended.

“Everything starts with your feet,” he said. “If you throw a perfect ball but don’t have the footwork, that’s not going to do anything. They’re helping me perfect my footwork, just easy steps and trying to help me. I really enjoyed that and it helped a lot.”

A four-sport athlete in high school, Duggan is just weeks away from baseball season and will once again play outfield and pitch for the Titans.

With his busy schedule, Duggan is hoping to mix in a summer camp stop at ISU. He also plans on attending a Cyclone home game this fall.

As a sophomore in his second season of starting at the varsity level, Duggan completed 108-of-174 passes for 1,651 yards and 15 touchdowns to go with five interceptions. Also a threat to beat opposing defenses with his feet, Duggan rushed 114 times for 592 yards and 14 touchdowns.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News