ADVERTISEMENT

Cornbred Barbecue

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
Finally, we got some carryout from Cornbred Barbecue. Since we weren't that familiar with the menu, we stopped in to order so we could ask some questions about the sides. I still had in my mind the deli that was previously in that location. But I was awestruck upon entering. This was much more than the small kitchen I anticipated. Although I am avoiding hanging out in indoor locations for long periods of time, this place was much bigger than anticipated. The seating was spread throughout with a stairway to balcony seating that ran most of the length of the place, not counting the outdoor area.

To the left when you enter is a really nice bar area, well stocked with Iowa brews and alcohol. And a very friendly staff. The outdoor area was enclosed with plastic windows and it was well heated. It would have been very comfortable hanging out there. It had a very large L-shaped bar, although it didn't look open. The place was large enough that everyone that was eating there was spread out, including some in the outdoor area.

I saw just one television in the place, so this is not a sports bar(becue).

We ordered a half rack with two sides to split. It was plenty for us and we have half of the sides leftover. We picked Hallelujah Potatoes and Street Corn Salad for our sides. We sampled three of of their sauces and had two large slices of bread to go with it. The ribs were great. The sides were okay, but what we had doesn't measure up to Jethro's Jalapeno Creamed Corn. The Hallelujah potatoes were topped with what looked like corn flakes. It looked good, but I could have done without that. They just got in the way. The ribs were good without any of the sauces. If you like a kick in your sauce, try the Habanero sauce. In addition to a barbecue sauce, I tried a runny sauce made with vinegar. All the sauces were good, but I found the ribs were best without any of the sauces.

I definitely will go back. We weren't very hungry tonight, so splitting some ribs made sense, but there are so many other things to try on the menu. When I am more comfortable eating out, this will be a great place to go. I suppose many of you have already been there and I'm the last to know how nice this place is.

Reactions: fairviewfarmer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News