ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING California OL in 2020 Class Likes ISU's Family Atmosphere

BillSeals

Jul 24, 2001
mobile.twitter.com
By Bill Seals

Thriving in a role more suited for him this past season as a junior, a big man from the southern California high school ranks is starting to draw more interest from Power-5 programs.

One of those schools that stepped up recently with an offer for La Habra standout Andrew Ueli-Fa’atoalia was Iowa State, doing so during an in-school visit from assistant coach Joe Houston last month.

“The offer was quite unexpected,” said Ueli-Fa’atoalia. “When we first started talking, it was last spring and we kept the communication lines open from there. The next time he came out, he blessed me with an offer. It was very shocking. They’re a building program and have been coming up lately. The past two winning seasons they’ve had are intriguing.”

The 6-foot-3, 295-pound offensive lineman said he liked the message Houston shared with him and wants to start learning more about the ISU program.

“He said they’re a family team,” Ueli-Fa’atoalia said. “It all boils down to it’s a group of guys that loves each other’s company and loves being there. That’s really great. Coach Houston said it’s not just all about football, but about being a team and brotherhood. He sees the leadership qualities in me and taking initiative with my team.”

A three-star prospect with a Rivals rating of 5.5, Ueli-Fa’atoalia is considered the 56th overall prospect in California for the 2020 class.

Known more for his work on the defensive side of the ball, Ueli-Fa’atoalia became more well-rounded for his play on the offensive line…the place he’ll likely end up at the next level. In addition to ISU, he’s also secured offers from Arizona State and Washington State.

“(Iowa State) was looking for an offensive lineman and that’s where I fell in,” he said. “It was not only that, but they saw me as a diverse player because I also play nose guard on defense. In my film last year, I played a lot of nose guard but this year I moved into a bigger role on the offensive line as the right guard.

“I now have more of understanding my position and have become more stable. I know my pass blocking got much better this year. All around on the offensive line, I did better. I moved from tackle inside to guard and that suited me better.”

With an offer now on the table from the Cyclones, the big man said he’ll be in more consistent contact with Houston with an eye on a potential trip to Ames next summer.

“We told each other that we’re going to get on the phone and talk to each other more,” Ueli-Fa’atoalia said. “Maybe not about football, but about life in general and how both of us are going. We’re trying to build that relationship.

“I’m not going to do as many camps over the spring or summer, but instead go out to a lot of colleges and get a feel for all the coaches. Since it’s my junior year, I want to see where I fit in the best since I’m getting ready to sign in the 2020 year.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News