ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce VDV was running basketball hire past Steve Deace?

Herdcyclones

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2006
So I was listening to Steve Deace's podcast, and he was talking about polling, and how polls seem to be all over the place, Deace then went off on aside about how he was releasing news about the basketball hire after Eustachy that nobody believed because the stories were going all over the place. But Deace said it was true, because the hire process was so crazy and off the rails, but he was actually getting it direct from the source because he had an insider. And the insider was THE insider, because BVDV would actually go over to Deace's house after the interviews and run thru what the coaches said. Then Deace was saying everybody thought he was full of it because what he was reporting was swinging quickly one way and then to the other. But he said it was all true, that the hiring process was so bad.

I never really hit the Cyclone message boards and such back in the BVDV days, and I realize Deace had a Cyclone message board, and had his sports talk show. And I seem to recall didn't BVDV get busted as a "anonymous" poster? As I mentioned, wasn't really involved in Cyclone message boards back in the day, but I thought it was a fascinating story, and sad, that our AD was just going over to a buddies house who was a sports talk host, to review coaching interviews. One name he mentioned was Dana Altman being interviewed. Not sure if that was known?

I like Deace, and in particular his sports knowledge and savant stuff there. And I suppose there would be worse people to talk to if you are an AD. But just found that whole thing really strange but interesting too. It was on Thursday's podcast 1 hour, 9 minutes in, if you are a listener to his podcasts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News