ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Bounce Back DB Offered by ISU

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State is eyeing a bounce-back prospect that had signed with an SEC program in the Class of 2016 before ending up at a JUCO program in Texas.

Trinity Valley redshirt freshman defensive back Greg Eisworth, who was a member of the Ole Miss football program during an injury-plagued season last fall before moving on, has claimed offers from the Cyclones and Colorado to go along with interest from Houston.

“I had Coach (Jim) Hofher reach out to me first, just letting me know they had seen my film, passed it around and liked it,” said Eisworth. “Within a matter of days, he got me on the phone with Coach (Jon) Heacock. I spoke with him over the phone and we talked a lot about what he likes about me and Iowa State.

“They like everything about me and say I play fast and have great technique. They think I can be a versatile player on the back end, like a strong safety or free safety. I can be one of their blitz guys or play over the top. I’ve watched some videos on Iowa State. Eventually, I got to talking to them and as I got to know them more, they sent me an offer. The next thing is to get on the phone with Coach (Matt) Campbell.”

The 6-foot-0, 195-pound Eisworth was a three-star recruit with a 5.6 Rivals rating coming out of South Grand Prairie High School in Texas, selecting Ole Miss over Power-5 offers from Baylor, Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma.

But Eisworth would never get his opportunity in Oxford. After joining the program early in January of 2016, he injured and later tore his hamstring during tumultuous first year in college. Eisworth decided to move on and head to Trinity Valley, where he’ll play as a redshirt freshman this fall.

“They kept rushing me back throughout the course and it was an injury I couldn’t get over at the time,” he said. “I redshirted my freshman season and decided to leave after my freshman season, go JUCO and get healthy, and get recruited somewhere else.

“It’s all been a blessing from God, being able to have that experience at Ole Miss and then have the injury at the time, I didn’t really know where it was going to take me. God has put me in position to succeed and put me through these trials to learn and grow from them.”

Since picking up his offer from I-State, Eisworth has done his research on the program and school.

“I’ve talked to some of the coaches and I like the academics there and how they stress education,” he said. “The coaches were telling me how their team GPA has done up every semester since they got there.

“I hear that they’ve got great fans out there and it’s a great college town. I like that support from the community. These coaches have done a good job since they got there to try to get the team on the right track and build a successful program.”

Eisworth said he is targeting an official visit for late August or during a bye week during his season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News