ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Bollers Plans Multiple Fall Visits to Iowa St.

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

The Cyclones are set to sign the state’s top prospect in the 2020 class, offensive lineman Tyler Miller, later this year and the coaching staff hopes to make some notable progress during the upcoming season in hopes of inking the top rising junior within the state’s borders.

Clear Creek Amana defensive end TJ Bollers has had an Iowa State offer since his freshman year, so he knows all about the coaching staff.

The 6-foot-3, 240-pound Bollers has seen his recruitment blow up since then, but says his first offer remains near the top of his board.

“Things are going really well,” said Bollers. “I’ll be back there a couple times this season and it will be nice to be around the program more, instead out of just coming out for only one game. I’ll be back for Iowa State/Iowa and then Iowa State/Texas.

“Being able to frequent Iowa State and go back there a couple of times (this fall), I think that kind of says I feel pretty strong towards them. I still have plenty of time in my recruitment. I feel I have built a strong relationship with the coaches from way back when they were my first offer. I feel like the relationship has gotten stronger and it’s going to keep growing.”

Since collecting his ISU offer as a freshman, Bollers has gone on to add Power-5 ones from California, Iowa, Kansas State, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin.

In addition to putting him at the top of its in-state rankings for 2021, Rivals.com considers Bollers a four-star recruit and has assigned him a 5.8 rating.

Bollers said he caught up with members of the Cyclone staff last week, breaking the news that he’ll be on campus twice during the 2019 season.

“I was able to give Coach Hoodjer a call (last week) and it was a good chat,” he said. “We got all caught up on things and he asked how my summer is going. When I told him that I was going to be back more than once, he was super-excited that I’m going to be more present at the school.

“I was also able to talk with Coach Campbell briefly. They said they were super-proud of me and all the work I’d been putting in and excited to see how this season goes and where it will take me. Coach Campbell said he was excited to have me back and that they were going to put on a show for me.”

ISU’s defense continues to receive a lot of hype for its ability to contain the top offenses of the Big 12. Bollers said he’s enjoyed watching the front-three’s contribution to that success.

“I always love going and watching great (line) play,” he said. “Being a defensive end and watching other defensive ends and learn off of what they’re doing, especially being able to go and see what Coach Rasheed is doing with the guys and how they respond and execute what he is teaching…that’s very exciting.

“If I end up choosing to go there and the guys have had success with his coaching style and how he’s been teaching his guys, that’s huge for me. It shows the guys are listening to him and he’s doing a good job.”

Bollers said he’s also planning to take game day visits to Iowa, Kansas State, Michigan, Nebraska, Vanderbilt and Wisconsin this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News