ADVERTISEMENT

Big Twelve Referees....

Cylebrate

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
After reading some posts in the past few weeks...it seems like there is a some bad officiating going on in our league....not only on the Good guys, but for some other league teams as well. It has been this way for some time.

I know Johnny Orr had his Woody Mayfield. Then there was Ed Hightower....who would have made the top 10 of homer of all homer reffs. Loved to see Hightower reff our home games and hated to see him on the road. Jim Bain had had his threats from the iowa hawkeye fans over one call at the end of a game. That was a hawkeye classic. There were a few bad zebras back then... but it did not seem that we had that many back in the day. The most crooked deal that I feel ever happened to us....was when they assigned a notorious reff for our final 8 match with michigan state that had thrown Eustachy out of a game when he coached in Utah State....and had trouble with the same reff his entire time when coaching in the (I believe) Big West conference....and we get that reff for a national game....right.

Of course....after watching a little of the game with kansas and okie state....kansas gets the calls to get them out of their funk and takes the game in another direction. We have all witnessed it before. I have watched some games and can't believe some of the inconsistent calls that are made. What is travel anymore? That is why it is so frustrating to watch sometimes. I know the referees have a tough job, but it is sad when many of our posters can pick out the good ones with the bad ones.

The other night....Shaka Khan Smart pointed to a referee at Niang as they were going down the court. We have the ball and Niang was called for a moving screen 15 seconds later. It nullified a 3 point shot from Thomas and could have been a major swing to texas. I did not have the replay if Niang actually fouled or not....but it seemed like the referee was just looking for something to call on Niang after Smart got on the reff. kansas can hold more than the hawkeyes in football and hardly eve get called for it. Not sure there is anything to do about it, but it seems like when then went with three zebras instead of two a few years ago.... the 3rd referee always seems to see something that is not there that really bogs the game down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News