ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball: How to mold this roster into a Dance-card punching Team

wrightclone29

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Once again this year's Basketball Cyclones are a plenty-talented bunch, perhaps with not a ceiling as high as the team from two years ago (Lindell, Talen, Tyrese). But who knows? Maybe this year's group of freshmen can play just as effectively as that young trio did. This year's group absolutely must be more cohesive than the 18-19 squad, and if they will play together and buy in on the defensive end, the Tournament will be attainable.

Coach Prohm and his staff have proven they can bring in high-level talent. The Hunter signing and their chances with Sallis at this point in the process further illustrate that point. If Tyrese is drafted in the top-10 next week, I'm not sure why any guard in the country would not take a serious look at playing for CSP at ISU - lots of former Cyclones playing in the NBA in 2021. One wonders why an equally talented wing or post would not want to play with a top-guard.

But as we've witnessed in recent years, a talented roster is one thing, but does not guarantee winning. I want to see CSP and his staff take a group and craft them into a whole that is greater than the sum of their parts. I do not think that has been achieved by his staff to date. More than anything else I want to see this year's Cyclones do two things: play for each other and play defense as if their minutes depend on it. That is the formula that CSP talks about a lot, but he and his assistants have to demonstrate that they can actually extract this from the talented young men that they are choosing to bring in.

As I see it here's what the known Cyclones bring to the table:

Rasir - Scorer. Can get a bucket when he wants to, and on a good night as good a scorer as anyone in the conference. Can he be the guy to get a needed bucket when the game is on the line? That's who he needs to be unless there is a newcomer who is capable of assuming that role. But on his bad nights, will he be willing to minimize shot selection and defer to a teammate? Who will be that teammate?

Solomon - Warrior. As far as I can tell, his buy-in on defense is near the top of the roster. Can get a bucket in the post when the guy guarding him does not overwhelm with length, and was consistent from 15-feet. He's not the star, but he can be a valuable piece.

Tre - Shooter and competitor. I thought he was the best perimeter defender last year. He is another piece to a winning puzzle. Can he play the Kantrail Horton-role to complement whoever emerges as the playmaker.

George - IMO, the returner with the highest ceiling. He can be the best interior defender in the country if he has continued to develop quicker feet and a stronger lower body. If he will run the floor he will average at least 10 a game by getting close looks in transition and by cleaning up misses. If he is stronger, I think he'll get to the line more where he has a nice stroke. Anything he scores from mid-range or beyond is gravy.

Javan - Not really a known commodity at this point, but reports from practice indicated that he would have contributed last year. At 6'6" with long arms, he could be an important piece on the defensive end. have no idea what he will bring offensively. Again, the information out of practice last year sounded promising, and it sounded like he's extremely versatile offensively.

On defense:

The thought of Tre defending the primary ball-handler (unless he's taller than 6'2"), some combination of Rasir, Javan, Jalen on the 2's, 3's, small 4's, and George and/or Solomon in the post looks like a formidable defensive group. If Xavier is ready, I like the idea of playing him together with George. If they are paired with the lengthier guys on the perimeter, we have the personnel to look like Baylor or Syracuse on defense. But would that group be able to score? Will this rendition of the Cyclones bring the interest and intent to dominate on that end of the floor? CSP constantly preaches defense and these are all his guys now. I am hopeful that this is the year we will see a group that's committed to shutting down the opponent. If they don't defend effectively this year, it's fair to start questioning if its a matter of want-to by the guys or more a lack of understanding what is the staff's plan for team defense. In either case it is CSP's responsibility to solve it.

On offense:

Since Fred, scoring volume has not been a problem. In more recent years, scoring droughts have come at the worst times and the ability to score in crunch-time has not been consistent. I'd like to think that offensive challenges can be remedied more quickly than defensive struggles - it's the highest level of Division 1 basketball; these guys can all put the ball in the basket if they are shooting with confidence. Rasir can score, Tre can shoot it, Javan and Jalen are both billed as versatile wings, and it's believed that Tyler Harris is a very talented offensive player. If Rasir, Tyler, or Tre is not the choice to be the facilitator, I think at least one of the freshmen will fulfill the role; every year at least one of freshman and/or newcomer has been ready to go under Prohm, and the guy can teach the role (remember the development of Nick Babb?) Maybe Walker is that guy this year? The literal X-factor on the offensive end is Foster. If he is ready on Day 1 to be the Stretch-4 that he is believed to be, we appear to have every piece a Coach could ask for to put in a plan to score points.

Final thoughts:

1. With so many new guys, will this be a cohesive team? Or do we have a group made up of individuals that, when push comes to shove, just want to showcase themselves? There have been a lot of talented basketball players take the floor for ISU the last several years, but IMO it's been a few years since we've had every contributor putting team goals first.
2. Who is Alpha? I don't think a cohesive whole can result if there is not a guy who the rest look to for setting the tone of unity and unselfishness.
3. If those player-led dynamics are not in place, can CSP get their attention? Will they look to him for that leadership and play for ISU?
4. Is there a group of that can be played together that is capable of dominating on defense, but still capable of getting buckets on the other end?
5. Is the talent pool deep enough for CSP to sit guys down if they are not committed to defense and sharing the ball?
6. There is so much parity in college basketball. Every year teams come out of the woodwork and put together surprising runs. Once again there's enough talent on the ISU roster to exceed the expectations that exist for them. Forget talent, will this team have the right mix of personalities and the commitment to maximize what they are capable of? I'm eager to find out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News