ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ATL Corner Learning About Cyclones

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A three-star cornerback from a high school program just outside of Atlanta, Georgia, picked up an offer from Iowa State last month and is learning more about the program.

Snellville Brookwood junior Kendall Williamson said he picked up the offer from assistant coach Bryan Gasser, who is recruiting in the area.

“I know my coaches had been talking to Iowa State, and I knew they had my film,” said Williamson. “They came out to my school and I got to see Coach Gasser and met him briefly. He gave me his card and we talked a little bit.

“We kept exchanging communication and then they decided to pull the trigger and offer me. They said they really liked me and wanted me. They like my playmaking ability and I’m thankful they identified that. I took a lot of pride in making plays out there.”

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Williamson has remained in touch with the Cyclones since picking up the offer, and would like to make it to campus for a spring practice.

“Coach Gasser said they have a lot to offer me as a student-athlete,” Williamson said. “Even though it’s a little way away and it’s a little cold up there, they have a great organization and great football program. Now I just need to learn a little more about how the defense plays and program in general.

“They want to have me up there soon for a visit. They talked to me about coming up for a spring practice and I would like to. I need to talk it over with my dad before we make any final decisions.”

In addition to I-State, Williamson has Power-5 offers from Mississippi State, Rutgers and NC State, to go along with Yale, Navy, Dartmouth, Penn, Tulane, Georgia Southern, Old Dominion and Columbia.

Williamson said his recruitment has picked up lately, and that ISU was one of the programs that got it all started.

“I’m just really happy got a chance to talk to Iowa State, and I’m happy I got to talk to Coach Gasser because he seems like a good coach,” Williamson said. “It seems like after Iowa State and Rutgers offered, my recruiting actually started to pick up and a lot of schools started coming in."

Williamson’s father Bethel has some familiarity with the Midwest, as he is originally from St. Louis, Missouri, and graduated from Drake University in Des Moines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.