ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Are Cyclones Still Eyeing JUCO DE?

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

After offering several months ago, the Cyclone coaching staff has continued to keep tabs on a JUCO defensive end from within the state’s borders.

Iowa Central rising sophomore Malcolm Lee said he’s waiting to see if his recruitment will pick back up in the near future.

“It’s been a pretty hands-off recruiting process so far with Iowa State,” said Lee. “I don’t talk to them too often but will receive letters from Coach (Alex) Golesh every once in a while. It’s mostly just wishing me the best of luck this season and hoping to get me up on a visit this summer or fall.

“The last time I saw them in person was this spring during practice. Coach Golesh and Coach Rasheed made their way down to Iowa Western to watch practice. They stated how impressed they were with my development since last fall. It was a very positive interaction.”

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound Lee also has Power-5 offers from Iowa and Louisville, to go along with G5 programs Florida Atlantic, Houston, Ohio, Southern Miss and UCF.

He said the school he took his first official visit to currently has the inside track with him.

“I hear from Houston the most out of any school,” Lee said. “As of right now, I’d say my top-five would be Houston, Iowa, Iowa State, Louisville and UCF. I have taken an unofficial visit over to Iowa in early-June and an official to Houston the weekend of June 13th.

“I haven’t really gotten out too much. I haven’t looked at our bye weeks yet this fall but would like to take some officials over those two bye weeks. I want to get into contact with a few coaches to see if I can set up some officials. I’ll reach out to all the schools that I have a lot of interest in and see who is going to reciprocate that interest by offering me an official visit.”

It remains to be seen if I-State will be one of those schools, although Lee said he still thinks the staff has a certain level of interest in him.

“I haven’t been able to get a look at their depth chart, but I’m sure regardless of how they deep they are on the defensive line, I’m sure they are still (looking at me).”

Lee said he is anxious to get back on the field next month and continue proving himself to college recruiters as a sophomore.

“I think I’ve improved a lot mentally and physically,” he said. “Getting into a college program and going through winter conditioning helped a lot with my physique, speed and strength. It’s helped a lot with intangibles. I have improved a lot mentally and from a technical standpoint.

“My motor is up a lot more and I’ve broken my habit of taking plays off. I’m playing with a lot more confidence, which comes along with improving your technique. I’d like to at least double the amount of sacks this season. I wasn’t too impressed with having 5 ½ last fall.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News