ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Ames & Iowa State Impress Taua on Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

The second official visit of the recruiting process for a California prep running back was to Iowa State, and the prospect said he enjoyed the time spent around running backs coach Lou Ayeni.

Lompoc senior Toa Taua has had a Cyclone offer for several months, but was making his first visit of any kind to Ames.

“It was a great weekend, spending time up in Ames,” said Taua, who visited Utah State last weekend. “I got to meet a lot more people and see a lot more stuff than I expected to see. The coaching staff was awesome and I loved my visit over there. They treated me very well. I got to see where they prepare for games, the meetings and breakdown some film with Coach Lou. I got to hang out with Coach Campbell.

“It was a great time. I wasn’t expecting it to be that beautiful. Ames is a great community. I loved the vibes that I got up there. Everyone is so invested in the Cyclones and the fan base is very supportive.”

The 5-foot-10, 195-pound Taua, who is listed in the Rivals database as a linebacker, would move to the offensive side of the ball if he ends up a Cyclone. And that’s just fine with him, seeing what they have done at the position.

“Coach Lou and I met and broke down stuff,” Taua said. “He compares me a lot to David Montgomery and he said he’s compared our films together. He sees the same potential in film. He broke down my film to me and explained why he’s recruited me and the things I do well.”

That was on display during Sunday afternoon’s bowl practice, which Taua caught up and close and personal prior to catching his flight.

“It was awesome and really fast tempo,” he said. “I love the way they handle their business. They have a great group of running backs and are part of a very good offense. I feel I could go in and get some tips off the older cats and try to improve my game by them.”

Taua was paired up with JUCO defensive line newcomers Ray Lima and Kamilo Tongamoa over the weekend.

“They said the program is a life-changing thing,” Taua said. “He said they’ve got a big-time head coach there at Iowa State and are trying to do big things.”

The senior also has P5 offers from Arizona State, California, Colorado and Washington State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News