ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Accident Doesn't Change Jackson Plan

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

While an Iowa State wide receiver commit in the 2020 class didn’t have the senior season he had envisioned, that’s all in the rearview mirror now as he’s set to sign with Iowa State on Wednesday morning.

Cibolo (Texas) Steele Daniel Jackson posted a huge junior campaign with 66 passes for 1,044 yards and eight touchdowns, but the aftereffects of a car accident cost him all but one game as a senior.

It was a disappointing turn of events for the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Jackson, who invested a lot of time over the spring and summer months to improving his game.

“My senior year was out of the ordinary,” said Jackson. “I got into a (car) accident in September and missed most of my senior season. I played the last game, which was the first round of the playoffs. The doctors thought it was safer if I sat out and they’d check up on me.

“It was frustrating, because in the offseason I had worked a lot on getting faster and stronger, making sure my core was straight and developing as a football player instead of an athlete. I got in and out of breaks better, got faster in and out of my cuts, and got off the ball quicker. I built on my repertoire, trying to be a complete receiver.”

Jackson, who caught five passes for 43 yards against Austin Westlake in the first round of the playoffs, said his football focus is now on officially becoming a Cyclone in two days.

“I’m very excited,” he said. “It’s been a real blessing. I met up with Coach (Nate) Scheelhaase and Coach (Matt) Campbell (last Thursday) and everything is good. I feel really comfortable with my decision and can’t wait to get to work. They’re going to develop me as a man and as a player. I’m going to do big things up there. I’m really excited about what’s to come.”

A three-star recruit with a 5.6 Rivals rating, Jackson is considered the 80th overall prospect in the Lone Star State and 96th wide receiver nationally. At the time of his commitment this past July, he had Power-5 offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Rutgers, TCU, Texas Tech and Utah.

The Texan will be in a good situation entering his freshman season, as I-State loses senior wide receiver Deshaunte Jones and La’Michael Pettway. Jackson said he’s looking forward to being a part of the offense as a whole.

“They did amazing things and I watched them all season,” he said of his position group. “They’re two people to kind of follow behind, look at their film and see what they did right and wrong. It’s a blessing having them coming out as I’m coming in. (Tarique) Milton is up there right now and he’ll probably help me out a little bit. I’m excited to see what I can do.

“The freshman running back was really good and then watching Brock (Purdy) doing what he was does was exciting. Knowing they’re going to be back is great. I feel really comfortable joining the group.”

He is one of four wide receivers in the 2020 class, joining Floridians Aidan Bitter and TJ Tampa, and Kansas JUCO standout Xavier Hutchinson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News