ADVERTISEMENT

A tale of 2 cities...

SighQlone

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 8, 2003
We just took a trip to Durham, NC to visit our son and daughter-in-law moving there to enroll her at Duke in their PA program. In preparation, I went to Scheels at West DsM's Jordan Creek to buy some new ISU gear for me and her (she is a former track star at ISU). While checking out, the cheeky 18-20 year old guy pressed his thumb down on the Iowa State logo and asked if I make a mistake and why was I buying the wrong the stuff. It never fails that some snarky hawkeye fan has a nasty comment to make even while providing customer service. I don't get it. I told him I would not like the shirt he wears when he is not providing service to a paying customer at this fine establishment. He just looked at me.

In Durham, I went to Costco while wearing a new golden yellow ISU polo. On the way in two young boys walked by and said "hey, cool "Iowa State." Then another guy said "Go Clones" while walking by. At the check out, an older guy (many retirees/50+ work at Costco), smiled at me and said "Hawks suck" to me. It has been said many times, but our logo really does stand out.

I try not to be sensitive, but the Scheels experience was the 3rd one like it in just one week. I also got bad comments from a Goodwill employee (of all places) while dropping off a donation. What is up with hawkeye BS and why must we be subject to it while paying good money for service at stores?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News