ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts on NBA vs ISU

Ziggy87

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
Lake Elmo, MN
I am not being a chicken little, I have no reason to believe CFH is jumping to the NBA. Until it happens, I am going to believe he is staying at ISU. But I am not CFH and his goals and dreams in life are his own, not mine. But here is my view of ISU vs NBA...

1. At ISU Fred has the ability to create something uniquely his, and have a legacy - like other great college coaches who stayed at one place. That will never happen in the NBA. Few coaches leave a lasting legacy.

2. Fred has more control of his program at a college vs NBA where GMs and team management have a much greater influence at success.

3. Stability - NBA jobs are the opposite of stable. If a team goes through a period of not making payoffs or losing, Coach is gone - does not matter who you are. Brutal existence. Most coaches go from team to team. I don't view it as a very prestigious position.

4. Beloved in Ames, that rarely happens in NBA. A few coaches have been beloved, (Phil Jackson) most are basically invisible to the average fan. Chicago fans could care less about Fred Hoiberg. He is just another well regarded college coach who wants to be in the NBA. Been there, done that with Floyd - pretty sure most don't want that experience again. He will be under a Microscope with a fan base that is extremely vocal and expects results now.

5. No guarantee of success in Chicago. Team is good enough for playoffs, maybe not for titles. Not looking at high draft picks either. CFH would be between a rock and a hard place, not good enough to win it all, and draw the fans ire, and if go in rebuilding mode, will be bad and again, fired.

6. IMHO - NBA coaches look like sick overfed gym rats. Most are pale and sickly looking. Does not seem like a desirable lifestyle. 82 games, 41 on the road. Away from home a ton. Again, big change from what CFH has in Ames.

All that said - CFH is confident and maybe wants to prove himself against the best. Maybe the recruiting business and getting recruits to Ames is too hard. Maybe it is wearing on him. Who knows. We will all know soon. Other than not having to live in Ames, proving himself and money, I see few positives in jumping to NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News