ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING 4-Star RB Eyes Return Visit to I-State

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A game-day visit to Iowa State next month is a good possibility for a 2019 running back that picked up an offer during the summer.

Quincy (Ill.) Senior standout Jirehl Brock said he is talking to members of the Cyclone coaching staff on a consistent basis, and wants to make it to Ames in the next few weeks.

“My recruitment is going pretty good,” said Brock. “I know they invited me to their game on Saturday against Northern Iowa, but I won’t be able to go to that one. I really do want to get up there for a game this season. They play Iowa the following Saturday and it would be nice to go to an in-state rivalry game just to see the atmosphere.”

The 6-foot-0, 200-pound Brock said he’s talked the most to assistant coach Tyson Veidt, who has made a favorable impression.

“Coach Veidt has been a really nice recruiter and I’ve talked to him a couple times,” Brock said. “You can tell he’s really put a lot of work into his recruiting. He makes sure he stays in contact with me. He’s that person who makes sure I know they want me as a player in the program.”

Since taking an unofficial visit to Ames in the month of July, Brock said the message from I-State has been consistent…that he can come in and make a big impact starting in the 2019 season.

“They like that I run similar to what they want in their program,” Brock said. “I had a meeting with the running backs coach and he was showing me places where I can improve and they can improve me in. They said I can really help them as a team, and that they have the type of offense that will help me as an individual player.

“They usually have two running backs that they use and one will get a majority of the carries. They know how to use their running backs and they usually have a pretty good offensive line that gets a good push for them to get downfield and create yards.”

As with several prospects across the country, especially ones in the 2019 class, Brock has put his recruitment on the back burner with the start of his junior year. He presently has Power-5 offers from ISU, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State and Missouri.

“I’m putting it to the side right now as we’ve started our season,” Brock said. “September 1st is on Friday and that’s when schools can actually talk to me without having to go through the coach or me calling into them. I’m sure that recruiting will pick up then. As of right now I’m focused on making sure my team wins.”

Brock dealt with a slight setback in his team’s season opener when he suffered a partial separation of the AC joint in his shoulder in third quarter. He had rushed for 80 yards prior to the injury and will likely be out a week or two.

Reactions: Cypull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News