ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING 2020 RB Connects with New ISU Coach

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

An unofficial visit last month afforded a coveted Class of 2020 prospect in-state the opportunity to meet a new Cyclone position coach.

Southeast Polk running back Gavin Williams visited Iowa State on February 10th. While he enjoyed checking out another basketball game at Hilton Coliseum, the 6-foot-0, 195-pound rusher said it was more about visiting with incoming coach Nate Scheelhaase.

“They won the basketball game the last time I was there, so that was fun to watch,” said Williams, who also has an offer from Iowa. “The last time I was up there, I met the new running backs coach. Me and him were getting to know each other and he was cracking jokes. It was a good time. It was cool meeting him, because he can relate to the current era.

“Some coaches are older, but he is in the hype of everything and knows what’s going on. He did very well in college, football-wise. He’s chill and relaxed, someone that I can be around a lot. We had a personal connection, which was good.”

Williams spent some time in a meeting with Scheelhaase, who outlined the staff’s plans for him if he were to sign in the 2020 class.

“We went to the position rooms and he pulled up a couple clips of David (Montgomery) and the other running backs,” Williams said. “He told me why Iowa State is recruiting me and what they like about my abilities. He said they’re going to get me to the safety one-on-one and it’s our job to win that battle.”

With his track schedule set to get even busier over the next few months, Williams said he is going to squeeze in one more visit in Ames while the team is going through spring practice.

“I’ll probably go up there in the next couple weeks,” he said. “I have a meet up there a week from next Tuesday and I might just stay up there. I’m going to get in touch with the staff and plan something for then.”

The talented athlete has been competing in the long jump, 55-meter run and 4x200m during the indoor track season. Once the outdoor slate commences, he’ll likely compete in the long jump, 100m, 4x200, 200m and 4x100m.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News